How To Cope With Senioritis?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
How To Cope With Senioritis?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Jacob Lund on Canva
Wellness > Mental Health

Avoiding the Mental Drain of Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Lindsey Greer

Lately, my biggest problem has been self-care. I have been on a self-care research “binge” because I figured out that I did not fully understand what self-care was. Self-care is more than the “extra things” like spa days or getting your nails done. It goes as small as making yourself slow down to take a shower or a bath. We need to practice self-care daily, but there are times in our lives when we are under a lot of stress or strain and need to remind ourselves just to stop to even eat.

College finals week is definitely one of those times.

We’re making sure that we are caught up with any missing work, reviewing, finishing up final projects or capstones, and studying until we can’t hold our eyes open. Everyone approaches finals differently, but everyone can agree that it is one of the most stressful points of the semester. We tend to get so focused and busy that any form of self-care goes out the window, but the thing is self-care can help as much as all the studying.

First, avoid the all-nighters. I know, I know, this is probably one of the hardest ones to do and this doesn’t exactly sound like self-care; it is absolutely the most basic form of self-care. However, sleep is something essential for our bodies. If we are overly tired our ability to concentrate and focus is impacted. It also badly affects memory formation and recall. Study over multiple days and split it up. Try using a method of studying a subject for a set period and then inserting some time for a self-care break, but make sure you get the sleep you need. If you stay to a specific sleep schedule, you tend to feel much more rested when you wake up in the morning, and (like a broken record) 7 to 8 hours is best. An interesting idea I was given was to create a restful space which is a space specific to sleeping. This space is not where you study at all, that way your brain knows that it is time to shut down and relax. Also, if you want to have that actual relaxation, you need to avoid stimulating drinks like coffee or energy drink before bed.

We spend a lot of time sitting during this time in a stationary position. This is not great for physical health. Take a break periodically and go take a walk or do some stretches. If you typically do a nightly run or walk, still do it, but maybe cut it down if you need the study time. Be sure to get some movement still. With movement, comes the need for energy. We have to eat and we need to eat right to support our bodies correctly. When we fuel our body with the right things, our brains work at its best. Citrus fruits have lots of vitamin C to help with your immune system, bananas are a great source of potassium to help with muscle cramps, and other fruits and vegetables contain lots of various vitamins and minerals that help your body function. Most importantly, stay hydrated. It is best to drink around 64 fluid ounces of water per day.

Make a plan for studying in advance. Schedule your time and write it down. Make yourself accountable by giving yourself a visible list to check off as you go and keep yourself organized with the things you need to do. You can even prioritize the things you need to do to be sure you are getting them done when you need to or not overwhelming yourself by giving yourself enough time to do larger projects over time, not in a short span of time and stress yourself out even more. Giving yourself a schedule will also allow you to fit in breaks to take care of yourself, which should be your number 1 priority on your list no matter what. Remember that this is a temporary thing that you will get through and that you can always ask for help. Not only academically, but for mental care as well by going to the counseling services.

I am a Junior and non-traditional student at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa, where I major in Social Work and a double minor in Sociology and Pre-Law. I'm a small-town farm girl who almost always has coffee or an energy drink in hand & I'm very passionate about the things I believe in! I intend to work in advocacy for Domestic Abuse/Violence, Sexual Assault, Mental Health, and Child Abuse with the goal of achieving better resources, better education, and better laws.