girl diner miami mural serious
girl diner miami mural serious
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
Career

The Art of a Side-Hustle: Turning a Hobby into a Moneymaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Starting a business in college sounds like a daunting task and something that’s out of reach for teens or twenty-somethings. That’s not the case. College is the perfect time to test out a new passion or try a new hobby that you have always been interested in. And why not make a little money from it?   

Last summer I decided to turn my crafting passion into a business that could make money to at least cover the cost of expensive Hobby Lobby visits. At any given time, I’m trying a new craft or making new jewelry, but last year I felt like I wasn’t getting my fix. As a math education major, I was struggling to fulfill my need for hands on crafting in my day to day school schedule.

I started creating. Then participating in arts and craft fairs, like Becky Fest in Davenport, and I realized that I could make some money, so I spent the entirety of Christmas break doing homework and making a website, which was a learning curve for a technologically challenged individual. From there I’ve learned about branding an Instagram page for a business, experimenting with promotions, finding my aesthetic, and creating the “vibe” of my brand.

woman on tablet
Photo by Retha Ferguson from Pexels

Reaching out to the community is the number one way to get your product out there and start reaching members of the community who want to support “a starving college student.” Also asking your friends to test your product and asking them to spread the word has been an irreplaceable help when I stated (and still). Amazing businesses like Crafted QC sell an array of handmade products from artists in the community and the Freight House Farmers Market in Davenport promote small businesses in the area. If you have a love for making bath bombs or refurbishing vintage clothing or anything in between, starting your own business is a challenging but amazing outlet that can help us all find balance in our lives. Finding creative outlets outside of your major or main interests can help us feel satisfied with out careers and productively utilize free time.

If you have been thinking about starting your own business or pursueing that sidehustle, just get started and see where it goes! There is not better time to start than now. Check out my business Instagram @Peanutblossomdesign and website peanutblossomdesign.com for business inspiration (and some cute and affordable jewelry). Reach out with any questions about starting your own business! I would love to help!!

Hey I'm Emily. I'm a math education major who enjoys running, crafting, mountain biking and coffee consumption.
Her Campus at SAU