Annie Porn, ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity isn’t your typical senior. Not only is she an undergraduate psychology major, but Annie Porn is also a second year graduate student in the Master of Occupational Therapy program at St. Ambrose.

That program is a big part of the reason the Naperville, Ill. native chose to attend St. Ambrose. Aside from the small size of the school, SAU provided one big advantage: Annie would be able to start graduate school two years earlier here than at other schools.

Of course, it wasn’t a given and Annie had to work hard to be accepted to the program.

“My second semester sophomore year was a very stressful time for me, I was adjusting to being back at school after a semester abroad and I was also in the process of applying and interviewing for the OT program.”

However, she was chosen to begin the MOT program as a junior, and has thrived since then.

“I have completed three fieldwork rotations so far and absolutely loved them! I am able to apply what I have learned in the classroom, interact with clients, and see how our services can really change lives. I feel very blessed to be a part of SAU’s OT program and I look forward to the rest of my time here!”

So how is graduate school different than being an undergraduate? Annie says the biggest difference for her is how close she has become to the people in the MOT program. Because only about 30 people are accepted each year, they all take every class together.

“You are all working towards basically the same goal and as a class become very close.”

Because of this, some of her best friendships have been developed in graduate school. Additionally, being in a specialized program helps to lessen the workload because Annie is so passionate about what she is learning. Assignments, papers, and research don’t seem as tedious in the program because it directly relates to what Annie is hoping to do in the future.

However, there are some less than ideal changes, as well.

“I do miss taking classes on campus. Now, all my classes are at the health science building.”

Annie still finds ways to stay involved on main campus, though. Not only is she a part of the Student Occupational Therapy Association and the admissions committee for the MOT program, but she also has been active in Up ‘Til Dawn and Antioch. This spring, she is planning to do a mission trip over spring break and participate in SAU Dance Marathon.

Her favorite experience so far at St. Ambrose has been her opportunity to study abroad in Carlow, Ireland as a sophomore.

“Studying abroad gave me a new outlook on life and I was able to make friends that live all over Ireland whom I still talk to today!”

She has also stayed busy working at a daycare in Davenport and running. In fact, Annie completed her first half marathon last April and hopes to run another this year.

Annie will graduate this May with a bachelor of psychology degree and next May with a master of occupational therapy degree. In 2014, she plans to become an occupational therapist in a rehabilitation facility, working with patients with traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and stroke. She would like to live in Boston, Nashville, or St. Louis working as a therapist for a few years before pursuing her doctorate degree. Eventually she hopes to become a teacher.

“I have learned so much from my professors here at Ambrose. They have inspired me to one day become a teacher as well.”

The busy senior has developed insight on how to be successful in school. Her words of wisdom: “Don’t worry and everything will work out the way it’s supposed to. I learned that sometimes you can’t control everything. You just have to try your best and know that there is nothing else you could have done. Also, take the time to spend with your friends. I have learned so much at Ambrose but the biggest thing I will take away is the friendships and connections I have made.”

Her Campus at SAU