Abby Tichler, ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Take a look around your classroom, and it is likely that you will see at least one person wearing a pair of TOMS.  It is even more likely if you have classes with this week’s Campus Celebrity, Abby Tichler.

Abby is the co-president of SAU’s TOMS club.  In fact, she and Jenny Morris, co-founder of the club are partially responsible for bringing the shoes to Ambrose.  After a little research, they found that they could bring a TOMS club to campus, and they immediately began to spread the word.  After Abby and Jenny got the club up and running, TOMS shoes and shirts designed by the club began popping up all over campus.

She wants collegiettes™ to know that a pair of TOMS isn’t like any other shoes you might buy.  The company and the club are spreading awareness of problems throughout the world.  For every pair of TOMS that are purchased, a pair is donated to someone in poverty.  Donations are sent to 23 countries, including the United States. 

“40 percent of the world’s people go barefoot.  In many countries, children can’t attend school without shoes because it is part of their dress code.  If they can’t go to school, they can’t get a job.  If they can’t get a job, they can’t break the poverty cycle,” Tichler explained.

TOMS also helps with vision problems throughout the world because that is the 7th leading health disability.  For every pair of TOMS sunglasses purchased, the company donates money for corrective lenses or sight-saving surgery to someone in need.

“Nearly 284 million people in the world are visually impaired, and almost 90 percent of these live in developing countries.”

This is why TOMS is making such an impact, and why the club at Ambrose is so important.  Their aim is to raise awareness for these global issues.

Possibly the most noticeable event the club has held here at Ambrose is One Day Without Shoes.  This is a worldwide event in which people are encouraged to go barefoot for one day.  The intent is to raise awareness about the millions of people who don’t have the option to wear shoes.  Last year, over 250,000 people participated worldwide.

Since the club is relatively new, they are still finding their niche on campus.  However, the other annual event that they have already started is a screening of the TOMS documentary entitled , “For Tomorrow.”
If you are interested in becoming involved with this world-changing club, contact Abby at TichlerAbigailK@sau.edu or send a message to the TOMS club at TOMS.sau@gmail.com.  The group meets every other Wednesday in the Student Leadership Center at 8:00 pm.

Abby is a junior from Rock Falls, Ill.  She is an English major with a pre-law minor.  In addition to being TOMS president, Abby is also the secretary of GreenLife and Vice President of the English Pros(e) Club.  She also works in Campus Recreation and Student Activities.  With all of this involvement, it is no doubt that Abby is making her mark on the Ambrose community and is worthy of Campus Celebrity status.

After Ambrose, Abby is considering going to law school.  She may also use her English degree to work in publishing.

When asked what her favorite part of Ambrose was, Abby answered, “I love how small the campus is because I get to know so many people on a closer level.  I like that I can walk to class and see several people that I know.”

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!