The opinions expressed in this article are the writer’s own and do not reflect the views of Her Campus.
I like to think of myself as an avid reader, however I have a certain quirk/method of reading that I love telling people about. I read in a seasonal fashion. This means that beside fantasy and science fiction books I read books based on the season the plot takes place in. There are some exceptions such as books that take place over a long timespan or I first read it during a particular time of year.
I began reading this way in 2015 where it started with the book “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.” This book has always given me fall vibes with sections of the book including Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the start of school. I have made it a habit of mine to read this particular book at least once every other fall. I also then read the sequel “P.S I Still Love You” in the winter, as it talks about Chinese New Year, constant snow falls, and Valentine’s Day.
I have found that reading seasonally helps me enjoy the season I am in more thoroughly. I enjoy being able to experience the season whether it be outside laying in the leaves reading about Halloween, curled up next to a fireplace reading about winter holiday shenanigans, or laying by a lake reading a story about sailing. I recommend to everyone to try, at least once, reading a story in its coinciding season.
Here is a list of some of my favorite seasonal reads with their corresponding seasons.
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas. Released in 2020
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han. Released in 2014
- The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle. Released in 2015
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Released in 2013
- P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han. Released in 2015
- What Light by Jay Asher. Released in 2016
- My True Love Gave to Me by Stephanie Perkins. Released in 2014
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Released in 1813 (An oldie but a goodie)
- Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli. Released in 2018
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. Released in 2013
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Released in 2005
- The Float Plan by Trish Doller. Released in 2021
- The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han. Released in 2009
- The Rest of the Story by Sarah Dessen. Released in 2019
Have fun reading!