Cruise Ship
Cruise Ship
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Culture > News

A Brief-ish History of Black Women in the Navy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

On February 3, 2023, Captain Janet Days is set to become the first Black female commanding officer at Naval Station Norfolk. Norfolk is the largest naval base in the world so the achievement is certainly nothing to scoff at.

This news got me thinking; what is the history of Black women in the Navy and why are we still having firsts? What I found was a series of constantly evolving rules and regulations that denied, or at least limited, Black women from serving in the Navy both because they are women and because they are Black. I’ve condensed the information as much as possible but if you’re not into history this might put you to sleep. If you are, it might give you whiplash from the on-again-off-again relationship the Navy has with women. Either way, be warned.

1775- Black men made up over 10% of the Continental Navy in the American Revolution.

1798-1861 There were a variety of bans and quotas trying to limit how many Black men enlisted or were serving on a vessel. Despite this, Black men continued to serve, although often only allowed to perform menial tasks.

1986- The onset of the Jim Crow era led to more discrimination and less opportunity for Black men. Yet recruitment remained around 10%, though none rose above the rank of third-class petty officer.

March 21, 1917- Enter women! The Navy started recruiting women and approximately 11,880 women had joined by the end of WW1. The first Black women were allowed to serve later in the war, but only the names of the “Golden Fourteen” are known.

1920- Nevermind! The Navy amended the Naval Reserve Act of 1916 which allowed “any citizen” to serve, opting instead for “any male citizen” to be eligible. This led to the disqualification of future female recruits and the discharge of all females.

1944- And we’re back. The Navy started the WAVES program (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service). Black women were excluded until near the end of WWII and only about 70 Black women were admitted into this reserve…which was then demobilized after the war.

1945- The first Black WAVES members attended Hospital Corps School and entered the Navy Nurse Corps

July 30, 1947- Women are allowed to regular Army and Navy BUT excluded from combat positions after the passage of the Women’s Armed Services Integration Act

July 1946- A star is born. Chief Yeoman Edna Young became the first Black woman sworn into the regular Navy and the first black female Chief Petty Officer.

August 7, 1972- Equal Rights and Opportunities for Women! Or at least it required the Navy to reevaluate its policies and opened the door for women to be assigned on ships and eligible for different positions.

1978- Joan Bynum is the first Back woman to be promoted to Captain

1980- Year of more firsts. Midshipman Janie Mines graduated in the first class of women to graduate from the U.S Naval Academy, making her the first Black woman to do so. Additionally, Brenda “Raven” Robinson became the first black female pilot.

1998- Lillian E. Fishburne became the first Black woman to achieve flag rank after being promoted to rear admiral.

2011- First All-Female Seabee Construction Team was assigned to Afghanistan and 4/8 of the women were Black

2013- Finally!! End of the ban on women in combat. It took a minute, but the policy from 1948 was finally lifted and women are now allowed to serve in combat units.

2014- A modern icon. Admiral Michelle J. Howard was the first Black woman to command a Navy ship, earn two (and later three) stars, and become the first Black Vice Chief of Naval Operations.

Today- Captain Janet Days will become the first Black female commanding officer at Naval Station Norfolk.

With opportunities for Black women being restricted for so long, it’s no wonder we’re still having firsts. Still, let’s take this moment in Black History Month to celebrate the accomplishments of Captain Janet Days and all Black women who have dared to succeed in spite of the numerous obstacles they faced.

Hello, I'm a junior forensic psychology major at St. Ambrose University. I enjoy golfing, reading, baking, and just about any other old lady hobby you can think of!