The Lalacut Off Shorts And Flannel
The Lalacut Off Shorts And Flannel
Her Campus Media
Style

9 Retro Fashions You Cannot Live Without

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Never in our lives did we expect to be dressing like our moms, but history “trends” to repeat itself and that is exactly what is happening! Our first thought might be “helloooo awkward,” but then again, maybe their style isn’t quite as bad as we thought. This change in style not only gives us the opportunity to dress like our moms, but also some of our favorite TV characters from Friends, Charmed and Full House. On second thought, it might be time to go shopping in our mom’s closet!

1. Off the Shoulder Tops

If these don’t make the most perfect go-to outfit, I don’t know what does! This super cute look dates back to the 60’s, but no one would ever guess that such a popular look is such an old style. This is great for the summer as a little crop top with festival shorts or in early fall with a pair of skinny jeans and booties. You name the event, and this little number will be a hit!

2. Bell Sleeved Shirts

Want to channel your inner flower child? Well these loose peasant tops from the summer of love will have you looking like a 70s baby in no time! This comfortable look does wonders for any outfit. The only thing I struggle with is accidentally dipping the sleeves in my food… But once you learn how to avoid these little inconveniences, you’ll realize that you can’t live without it!

3. Old Time Rock ‘n’ Roll Shirts

Boston, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, The Who, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin… You name it, I guarantee some college girl is out there wearing it like a total hipster with a pair of classic Converse All-Stars. You may not listen to these amazing rock groups or even know of the legendary Woodstock music festival, but take one look in any fashion store and you’ll be adding their songs to your playlist ASAP!

4. Oversized Sweaters

These days, it’s all about finding something comfortable to wear that you can throw on either 5 minutes before you have to leave for class or when it’s time to snuggle up in bed to do some homework and watch Netflix. Either way, this retro 80s style is perfect for any occasion and will never let you down!

5. The Mom Jeans

High waisted, loose -fitting, cuffed mom jeans are totally the thing these days just as they were back in the 80s when they first really took off as a style. You can rock the trusty old Levis from Goodwill or shop the racks at American Eagle. No matter where you buy them, they will fit right into your vintage wardrobe as a basic staple item for your everyday outfits.

6. Birkenstock Sandals

Some call them Birks, others call them Jesus sandals.Then there are people that channel their inner hippie vibe for comfort at a music festival. No matter what the nickname is, they are all one in the same and amazingly comfortable. These classic shoes from the 60s and 70s can dress up or dress down any outfit and never have you worrying about your feet hurting again!

7. Scrunchies

Scrunchies are all the rage, whether they’re around your wrist or in your hair in a cute side-pony or messy bun. If you don’t have one yet, you better go pay your 87 cents to get one because you don’t want to be left out of this amazing comeback!

8. Overalls

When I see overalls, the first thing I think of is Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird and Michelle from Full House.You know what else you can think of? The totally rad fashions that came out of the 80s! Overalls may not be figure flattering, but they sure do make a cute daily look that are ridiculously comfortable for anything you can think of. Once you have a pair, throw them with a cute turtleneck or a vintage striped shirt and you are all set for the up-and-coming trends!

9. Corduroy Skirts

These trendy skirts come from the 60s and 70s and I have no idea where we would be without them. I definitely grew up wearing corduroy pants and now I feel like I’ve upgraded by moving onto corduroy skirts with a retro top or basic tee!

Photo Credits: off the shoulder, bell sleeves, rock ‘n’ roll,  crew neck, mom jeans, birkenstock, scrunchie, overalls, corduroy

Math Teacher by day, bass player by night and a bee for life <3
Her Campus at SAU