8 Ways to Stay Hydrated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The last few days have been so gorgeous, nobody wants to stay inside in study. Luckily, this kind of weather is going to stick around for the next three months or so! But, some of those days could get really hot, like we’re talking 100 degrees in the shade hot. So, we have compiled a list of ways to stay hydrated this summer, because we would love to see your bright and smiling faces back on campus next year!

1. Drink Water.

Although this is obvious, it is the number one way to keep your muscles and skin hydrated and well nourished.

1. Eat lots of fruit.

There are a number of fruits and veggies that have more than 90% of their weight in water content. These include but are not limited to grapefruit, cucumbers, strawberries, watermelon, blueberries, grapes, lettuce, zucchini, cantelope, tomatoes and spinach.

1. Eat meat.

Surprisingly, most meat contains up to 60% water. So that burger on the grill might be a good decision after all, if you’re feeling a little run down.

1.  Drink before you get thirsty.

By the time your body tells you that you are thirsty, you are that much closer to becoming dehydrated. So, stop this early and drink water often.

1. Carry a water bottle with you.

There are so many cute water bottles or cups out there, that it is always acceptable to be sipping a drink every now and then. This will help you to drink before getting thirsty because it is sitting in front of you. Try to use this water cup as a replacement for a sugary drink that is not as good for you in the heat.

1. Drink before, during and after an intense workout, or any form of exercise.

This is pretty self-explanatory, as you will sweat out a lot of the water that your body has stored, so to help keep your energy up, keep drinking water!

1. Drink flavored waters or sports drinks.

If plain water is too boring, try adding some flavor, or a sports drink that has electrolytes that will continue to give you energy will keeping you hydrated.

1. Add your own flavor to your water.

If you don’t have any Mio or anything like that, fruits and veggies work great as a way to add flavor to your hydration. You can slice up a cucumber, citrus, or strawberry and add it to your drink for a bit of sweetness.

Summertime is for hanging out with friends and family, but don’t get too caught up in that that you forget to stay hydrated. Drinking water often throughout the day will be a great way to stay energized for the late nights by the campfire and the long days at work. Enjoy your summer, SAU!

*Sources: www.webmd.com www.wellgroundedsite.com

*Photo courtesy of www.plattecanyon.org

Her Campus at SAU