7 Mistakes all Freshmen Make (and How to Avoid Them)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

There’s no denying that to an incoming freshman, college is *cue Aladdin* a whole new world. With this new world comes new people, new opportunities and plenty of new mistakes – and no, I’m not just talking about wearing their lanyards around their necks. And newsflash, everyone has made these mistakes before – some are just more willing to admit it than others. With that being said, here are 7 mistakes that (almost) all college freshmen have made at least once and what exactly to do to start school off on a positive note, inspired by UoF’s 5 Mistakes We Make As Freshmen.

1. Not taking advantage of their meal plan. While you may get tired of the cafe within a matter of weeks, this doesn’t mean you should skip out on what the cafe has to offer. You (or your parents) have already paid for the meals, so skipping out is just throwing money down the drain.

• Advice: Use that meal plan! Even if you’re just taking some fruit and vegetables to go, it’s better than nothing. Also, try to set a limit on the amount of times you go out to eat per month and stick to that number. When you do go out to eat, remember, not only are you paying for the meal at the restaurant, but you’re also paying for the meal that you didn’t eat in the cafe.

2. Taking too much advantage of their meal plan. Pizza, burgers and fries…OH MY. While nothing may look more appetizing than that greasy and cheesy pizza, eating it meal after meal isn’t going to work out in your favor. The freshman 15 is real and is only months away when your diet is bad enough to make any mother cringe.

• Advice: Don’t be afraid to make the occasional healthy *gasp* choices. The cafe always has a full salad bar with lots to choose from as well as plenty of fruits, veggies and other smart options. Also, while the soda machines may look like a gift from heaven above, keep in mind just how much sugar you’re consuming with just one glass.

3. Never leaving campus. Sometimes it’s hard to remember that there’s actually life outside of campus, especially when you’re stuck inside your dorm day after day. While you may be freaking out over the loads of homework, don’t be afraid to take a short trip away from school. Not only will a change in scenery help, but being away from campus will help you forget about your problems for just a while.

• Advice: Take full advantage of nearby locations off campus. Vander Veer is a beautiful park that’s located just steps away – and it’s a Pokémon hotspot for all of you Pokémon Go’ers. Take the short trip downtown and experience all of the museums (students often get a discount), restaurants and activities. Also, take a few minutes out of your day to catch up on the news. Just because something isn’t happening on campus doesn’t mean it isn’t happening at all.

4. Not joining clubs or activities. Nobody wants to be that goody-two-shoes try-hard, especially not in college. Because of this, many freshmen feel obligated to opt out of joining clubs that they’d otherwise be interested in. This automatically makes it harder to find friends with similar interests.

• Advice: Join the clubs. Attend the meetings. Spend time at Club Fest (*Tuesday, August 30th*). Meet the friends you may be spending the next four years of your life with. Trust me, even one week from now, nobody is going to think of you as “the girl who joined all of those weird clubs.”

*P.S. Join SAU Her Campus! We’ll have a table at Club Fest if you’re interested in writing at all!*

5. Not taking school seriously. College is hard – that’s a given. Unlike high school, there are no free passes, there are no second chances and gosh darn it, you’re going to be drowning in homework. Please, take it seriously. You’re paying a lot (a lot, a lot, a lot, a loooootttt) of money to go to school, so why waste it on poor grades? Trying to raise your grades is a lot harder than trying to maintain good ones.

• Advice: Get your life in order! Study for your tests, do all of your homework, and if you feel like you’re still struggling – reach out! SAU has a great student tutoring program as well as dozens and dozens of teachers who would love to help you reach your goals. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, because odds are, someone in the class has that same question you do.

6. Wearing the wrong thing to a party. While I may be no fashion designer, I do know that heels, skin-tight miniskirts and cleavage baring tops aren’t needed for the average (or any) house party.  We’re at a school of a few thousand in the middle of the Midwest. There are no bumpin’ nightclubs and there are no Upper East Siders to compete against. Save yourself from dreaded blisters and from being included in upperclassmen’s favorite party game of “Spot the Freshmen.”

•  Advice: Keep it cute but comfy. There is nothing wrong with going out in jeans, a nice shirt and comfortable shoes. Know that you will be walking from house to house, so flats are always a great option as well. Also, keep in mind that the odds of getting spilled on are pretty high, so don’t wear anything you wouldn’t mind getting ruined, because trust me – it’ll happen.

7. Letting college fly by. It’s your freshman year and I know exactly what you’re thinking: “Awesome, I have four whole years here. That’s like an eternity!” Well, guess what. Just like high school, college flies by, and before you know it, you’re a senior wondering where the last three years have gone.

• Advice: Classic Kenny Chesney quote here, but “Don’t Blink.” Appreciate where you’re at and don’t wish away the week waiting for the weekend. Spend time with friends, pull an occasional all-nighter and laugh until you cry. Talk to any senior. If they could go back to freshman year and do it all over again, odds are, they would.
I'm Amanda, a junior PR major at St. Ambrose. I enjoy long walks on the beach and queso.
Her Campus at SAU