This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Fall is one of the best times of the year, probably in most people’s opinions. In my opinion, it’s in my top two, but is still up there! What I love the most about the fall is there are so many activities, while we all probably spent most of the summer outside taking advantage of the heart, fall is a great time to do that as well! Fall offers so many fun things to do from so many hometown festivals all the way to playing in the leaves with your friends. I know my hometown goes crazy in the fall because of the festivals, which is one of my favorite things to do in the fall, but that is only one weekend. So here are just a few fun fall festivities that will take up some time but not your money!

1. Go to a Local Apple Orchard/Pumpkin Patch

This is beyond the best activity to do in the fall, at least for me! Going to the pumpkin patch has been something I try and do every year. You can get dressed up all cute in your fall weather and go to the pumpkin patch and pick a pumpkin or just walk around and take advantage of the fresh crisp air. I love trying to get friends and family at the pumpkin patch and take hay rack rides around the patch, or all trying to find the perfect pumpkin! A fun day like this will cost depending on your pumpkin or apples-$5-25

2. Have a Fall Photo Shoot

For girls, the best thing is getting all dressed up and taking pictures that will hold memories forever. The best time to take big group photos is the fall. There are so many colors and elements that you can use in your pictures. Plus fall clothing? So beyond cute! Find a picture perfect place, beautiful trees that are full of color and go to town! Add in elements like pumpkins or apples and old bonfires. There are so many ways you could take this day! The most important thing is that you do not need a fancy camera to do the job. Just enjoy the day and take pictures on your phones, if that is all you have! The cost for pictures is PRICELESS!

3. Paint Pumpkins

Living in a dorm might make it hard to carve pumpkins just because of the limited space and the leftover mess that comes from it. A great alternative is to get little pumpkins and paint them! My friends and I did this last year and it was such a good bonding experience. We all sat around and painted out pumpkins and jammed to music. This shows every personality from each person in your group. Also, this eliminates the mess that comes from cutting a pumpkin open. The cost for this ranges from $10-30.

4. Have a Scary Movie Night

Fall brings out Halloween, which means scary movies! Netflix has a variety of scary movies and there’s always a good movie playing on regular cable TV! This is such a fun activity. Pop some popcorn and get together, to have a movie marathon. Going out after a long night of doing homework and being busy with school is the last thing you want to do. Besides, you don’t want to spend the extra time to get ready or worry about spending money. Movie nights are a great way to distress. The cost of a movie night is $0-5.

5. Go to Haunted Houses

Everybody loves a good scare every now and then, gets the heart pumping. For me, it is a whole experience, but my friends loved it. Every haunted house I have ever been to, has always had a different atmosphere. It’s either in pitch black dark or getting chased out at the end with a chainsaw. Haunted houses are not for the faint of heart because some can and will get very intense. The cost depends on the number of people in your group and the haunted house itself, which is $5-15.

6. Hiking

For those of you who love to be active and really like to get out there, this fall activity is for you. I personally am not much of a hiker, but I know people who are and they say they love it. I have been told that it is something I need to try, at least once in my life. People say it’s the best feeling once you get to the peak or the top of where you are going. Being out in the fresh air and disconnecting from the world for the afternoon would be nothing but exciting. This cost is PRICELESS.

7. Try New Comfort Food

With the cold weather comes different food. I love comfort food and how it warms your belly up. Comfort food puts you in such a good mood. As I get older I’ve grown into the idea of cooking, especially when it comes to trying new recipes for my boyfriend. You feel a new level of accomplishment after nailing a new recipe. Eating new fall foods is not only my favorite part, aside from the cooking. I enjoy going to the farmer’s market to pick out fresh ingredients, which makes the dishes taste much better. This cost is depends on the recipe you make, $10-35. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 

bensonhannah@sau.edu
Her Campus at SAU