This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

1.  To Raise Awareness

Most likely you know someone who has cancer or is a cancer survivor. It’s a disease that can affect anyone. Raising awareness could lead to a cure! The American Cancer Society assists with the organization of the event. It is staffed and coordinated by volunteers in the community. St. Ambrose’s relay is November 9th and is organized and put on by Maddie Murphy, Rachael Dorsch, and the rest of the relay committee. There’s still plenty of time to join in and help raise awareness for a cure.

2.  Because It’s Fun

Do you really need an explanation for this one? When you are not walking laps with your friends (which is more fun than you’d expect) you get to play cool games or do obstacle courses. You can chat, eat, and just not stress over school for a few hours.

3.  Because It’s A Great Cause

Many families struggle with the financial responsibilities of fighting cancer. No one should be worried about paying bills when their loved one is in the hospital. Money raised for relay helps families with struggles like these and so many more. The American Cancer Society ensures that the money is put to good use.

4.  To Learn To Appreciate Your Health

Many of the people that come to relay are cancer survivors and they will be some of the proudest and most determined people walking their laps. Walking laps for 12 hours may sound tough, but you are tougher. Learn to appreciate your legs that can hold you up for that long. Learn to appreciate your lungs that will help you breathe while you walk. There’s a candle lighting ceremony that will touch even the coldest soul, and if that doesn’t make you appreciate your health, nothing will.

5.  To Get Some Exercise In

Walking the track is part of the Relay experience, so get your steps in while supporting a good cause! 

6.  To Gain A Better Understanding

The reason that groups walk the track for 12 hours is to gain a better understanding. The way you feel after walking the track for that long is the way that a cancer patient feels on their very best day. It’s a very humbling experience and we could all use a chance to gain a better understanding of the people around us.

Feeling convinced? Visit this link to join! Can’t wait to see you there!

Business Management // Accounting Sarcasm & ice-cream enthusiast
Her Campus at SAU