diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things You Forgot After Move In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Hello darlings! If you are like me by any means, you googled “college move in tips” like crazy months in advance awaiting the day that you yourself were able to go and be away from home and an official adult! I’m here to help with just a few tips on how to make the weeks after move in day go a little bit smoother!

1.  Make a list of things you forgot to pack

Move in day is emotional and stressful. The week leading up to it can be challenging because most people do not know what to pack or what to bring with them! As crazy as this sounds, an easy fix is to remember it’s okay to not bring certain things. There is always a store to pick up items you may have forgotten. After you move in, you will definitely find out that you need that water filter or the command strips you didn’t think you would need. It’s super easy to make a list, find a friend (or roommate!) and run to the store to pick up the things you guys forgot. 

2. Packing using Rubbermaid totes/organizing bins

I personally realized that the large Rubbermaid totes (think the ones at Walmart near Christmas time) are the absolute best solution to packing. I purchased two of them as well as nine storage bins for my organizer and was able to pack my entire list of items I needed into the totes and 4 bins! I chose to put hair products, lotions, makeup, and body care items into a storage bin that way I could just take that box into the bathroom and all of my items would be together. I then packed the clothes I did not want to hang up into a red tote and personal belongings/decor into the other; truly a lifesaver when moving in. You only need to bring in a few large items rather than several small items. This is also a great way to incorporate extra storage containers in your closet! For those who live far away they have to bring winter coats and clothes now, so this is a way for them to store clothing. I found it easy to use the storage totes as a way to put extra blankets, sheets, and clothes in. Mine sits nicely on top of my closet shelf. 

3. Explore campus

As fun as it is to stay in your room and get “feeling at home”, going out and exploring campus is the best way for you to be able to learn where things are as well as a great way to get involved with clubs on campus. When you are able to meet new people and get involved, it truly does make the time on campus a bit more fun!

4. Communicate with your roommate 

The best roommates call and communicate before they move in together. Now, I am not going to say you and your roommate will become best friends. However, you guys will be living together and need to at least get along well enough to co-habitate. Not all roommates are the perfect fit, but talking about boundaries before move in as well as on move in day helps with that transition. It also allows for you to move in feeling semi comfortable with the person you will be sleeping near for the next few months. When communicating with your roommate, express things that you do not want them to do versus what you want them to do. 

5. Get tissues

Remember to pick up a pack of tissues for you. Although your parents are sad that they are dropping their baby off at college, you will miss them more than you know. Leaving home can become an emotional time for all members of the family; even the dog! A good way to get over this “homesick” feeling would be to get involved, meet new friends, and call your family regularly. 

Sophomore at SAU with a passion for helping others. I am currently in pursuit of my RN, which will eventually open opportunities to reach out and better serve others. Besides writing, I enjoy going to the gym, hanging out with friends, and reading. I am also an ER tech! You can find me on instagram @amie1229!
Her Campus at SAU