5 Things I Learned After the Cubs Victory Parade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

After 108 long years of waiting, the Cubs finally did it. They won the world series. This left the city of Chicago to host a long-awaited parade. Even though the people of Chicago had already been celebrating for the couple weeks, they were finally going to celebrate with the players who did it all. A small celebration was not an option, and here are 5 things I learned after attending the big celebration.

5. Friendships were tested.

Huge gatherings like these can’t happen without a little pre-gaming beforehand, even if it’s 6 in the morning. I witnessed grown men taking major league L’s at 9 a.m. and friends attempting to keep the group together. Adult men and women were lost, phones were dying and people were hungry. 

4. “Hey Chicago”

Chicago had a lot to say. People everywhere were either singing the song or playing it on a stereo. After my time at the parade, I will be singing it in my sleep, humming it class and belting it in the shower. #GoCubsGo

3. Respect the cops and respect the city.

We all want to have fun but respect still needs to be given to these men and women in uniform along with the environment. They don’t want to deal with five MILLION drunk people crowded along six blocks as much as the next person. So follow directions and throw your trash in the garbage.

Be safe, say a thank you and keep your rude comments to yourself.

2. History.

This gathering ranked as the seventh largest human gathering in history. More than 5.5 million people dressed in Cub’s gear cheered and celebrated this moment. For a day, no one cared about missing work our school, waking up way before the sun, standing for hours, the wild crowds or the long lines. Everyone was united to celebrate this team after 108 years.

1. THE CUBS

The cubbies are definitely easy on the eyes. Not only that, but these are the guys that broke the goat curse, made our dreams come true and made the city proud. From Rizzo’s smile to Silver fox Ross, the boys definitely won our hearts on and off the field.   

Images: City picture provided by author, Hey ChicagoThe Cubs, At Last

Fake it til you make it.
Her Campus at SAU