5 Reasons to go on a Mission Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

A mission trip is kind of like vacation mixed with a little church youth group retreat that’s completely life changing. Instead of traveling for pleasure, a mission trip is going off on a journey to help and serve those in need while bonding with those who joined your journey. Here’s the top five reasons you should go on a mission trip:

5. Seeing the World

I had the amazing opportunity of going to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Experiencing a new culture and city is always a bonus, plus delicious Caribbean style food. And who doesn’t love adding a stamp to their passport?

4.  A Change of Heart

Going to other communities where people don’t even have access to basic needs like water or electricity can really open your eyes and make you realize how lucky you are. Seeing these people live and function happily makes you realize how much you take for granted. It’s good to take a step back and appreciate what you have going on in your life.

3. New Friends

Nothing is better than making some new little friends, right? I got to meet and play with all these loving children at the local school. Helpful tip: no matter where you are, kids love Snapchat filters.

2. The Bonding

Between the sweat, blood and tears that were shed during our week of being missionaries, we bonded. We share memories and a new love for a place we never knew before and no one else will understand. 

1. A New Fire in Your Soul

After the late nights of group talks, singing circles, friendships forming and working together to accomplish something for other people in a different country, you change. Your soul feels refreshed and your heart is filled with joy that you don’t want to leave the place you grew to love. You’ll already be planning a reunion with your new family and crying just thinking about saying good-bye. Your first mission trip won’t be your last.

So grab your bug spray and open up your heart to a life changing experience. Bless up and sign up.

*Photos provided by Karina Huaracha

Fake it til you make it.
Her Campus at SAU