5 Helpful Tips for Becoming a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Looking back on my college career, I can honestly say I was never a morning person. Instead of striving for a successful sleep schedule, I would stay up until 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. each night, while snoozing my alarms multiple times each morning. If I didn’t have class or somewhere to be, I’d sleep in as late as 11:00 a.m. because, “Hey, I have nothing better to do.” While this sleep schedule didn’t necessary bother me in college, I knew it wasn’t going to fly in “the real world,” so after graduation, I started making a few changes. Within weeks, I found myself waking up at a decent time and no longer hating mornings (as much).

*DISCLAIMER* I understand that some people may never become the much-desired ‘morning person,’ but try one (or all five) of these steps to make your mornings a bit easier.

Complete daily tasks the night before. Whether it’s packing your lunch or planning your outfit, find a few minutes to complete the tasks you’d usually do in the morning and finish them at night instead. Sure, it’ll take up a few minutes of your Netflix binge, but it’ll save you the stress of doing it in the morning.

Get in bed earlier. Okay, even I’ll admit that this tip is obvious, but it’s something so many people refuse to do. When I was still in school, there were nights I’d stay up late just because I could. Now, in order to function like a real adult, I know I need at least seven hours of sleep each night. And since it takes me 30-45 minutes to fall asleep each night, I get in bed a little earlier to allow for that time. I’ll never feel any shame for being in bed by 9:30 p.m.

Get out of bed right when your alarm goes off. From the day I got my first smartphone, my morning routine took a drastic hit. Instead of getting out of bed when I first heard my alarm, I’d start scrolling through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Gmail, catching up on what I missed while sleeping. Before I knew it, I’d be laying in bed for 20 minutes longer than anticipated and would have to rush to get ready for work/class on time. Now, I get up right when my alarm goes off and check social media when I have time to spare before work.

Make your bed. I have said this before and I’ll say it again – make your bed right when you wake up. While I understand you’re just going to sleep in it again later that night, the feeling of completing a task right when you wake up (even if it’s something small and simple) will put you in a positive mindset to complete multiple tasks throughout the day. Plus, who doesn’t love climbing into a nicely made bed after a long day at work?

Find a successful routine. Sure, routines can be boring, but they can also make your life 10 times easier too. When I say it took me months to find a successful night to morning routine, I’m not kidding. From showering at night to spending an average 10 minutes on makeup and 15 minutes on hair, I know what works best for me.

Thumbnail, clothes, in bed, bed 2, make bed, routine

I'm Amanda, a junior PR major at St. Ambrose. I enjoy long walks on the beach and queso.
Her Campus at SAU