5 Christmas gift ideas on a college budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

It’s that time of the year that we’re all scavenging for money that may or may not be laying around. These 5 easy Christmas gift ideas won’t break the budget. 

1. Floral letter 

Even though you might not consider yourself a crafty person, making a floral letter is quick to put together. You can create a letter for your roommate or get numbers that represent your room. This can be hung up on the outside or inside of your door, or placed on top of a side table as room decor. Click here for quick steps on howto DIY. 

2. Dainty initial necklace

Something so small and delicate can easily be noticeable. A dainty initial necklace is perfect to give to your best friend, mom, sister, or yourself. This is another option if you admit that you are too lazy to DIY the floral letter (#1). Ordering from Etsy is one way of finding an initial necklace. If you prefer to find one in-stores, Francesca’s (located at NorthPark Mall Davenport, IA) has several options for dainty necklaces that you can choose from and a few are on sale! 

3. Cozy slippers 

Forget stocking stuffers. Stuff slippers with small essentials. You might think slippers are ridiculous to give as a gift but they’re actually useful in college. Not only will it keep your feet warm and cozy for the winter but you can avoid walking around with bare feet. To add something extra to this gift, you can include a SAU bookstore gift card (to use towards textbooks or apparel), nail polish, and lip balm. You can find affordable slippers at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and Target.

4. Wine glasses 

Wine not? Wine a little, laugh a latte. 

To make the coffee cup and wine class holder, you can purchase a wooden platform from Michaels but buying a blank white canvas would be a cheaper alternative. With the blank white canvas, you are able to design and paint anything then attach command hooks to hold the coffee cups. You’ll need E-6000 glue to hold down two nobs for the wine glasses. Click here for a photo of what the knobs would look like. You can look around for pretty knobs at Hobby Lobby, Walmart, or Michaels. 

5. Throw pillows 

Throw pillows can be very expensive. On the bright side, it adds a fun touch to anyone’s room and you can make them for way cheap. If you’re worried it doesn’t match with their bedding then you can suggest the idea of it being on their futon/couch! Instead of painting, you can find cute pictures or type out words, print on a iron on transfer paper and then press it onto the fabric of your choice. 

Materials needed: 

– Fabric (Joann)  

– Pillow stuffing 

– Fabric glue 

– Fabric paint  

OR 

– Iron on transfer paper (Michaels or Joann) 

Additional materials: 

– Embroidered patches 

– Poms 

Photos: Floral letter L, M necklace, S necklace, stuffed slippers, reindeer slippers, wine glasses, coffee cup and wine glass holder, eye pillow, cuddle weather pillow 

Major: Marketing // Minor: PR  Fashion, food and Instagram.  Follow-up with my articles to learn more about me and Her Campus at SAU. #GoBees 
Her Campus at SAU