24 Hours in the Windy City: A Tourist’s Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

CHICAGO!!! So much to see, so much to do, and so little time but no worries I did the hard work for you! Here’s a list of 8 things (with some travel tips I picked up along the way) you’re not going to want to miss out on during your trip to the Windy City. 

1. Take a walk through Millenium Park

*travel tip: make sure you see The Bean/Cloud Gate, The Crown Fountain, and Lurie Garden

*travel tip: arrive early in the morning when there are fewer people for the prime photo op

2. Learn something new at Shedd Aquarium or the Field Museum

*travel tip: check out illinois visit days on their website for free admission

3. Enjoy a game at Wrigley Field or Soldier Field

*travel tip: take an uber, parking is insane

4. Take your trip to extreme heights in the Sears Tower Skydeck

*travel tip: you only get 90 seconds for photos in the skydeck so pick out your poses beforehand

5. Take in the sights on a classic boat tour

*travel tip: check out tour times online when making an itinerary to maximize your exploration time

6. Eat some Deep Dish Pizza

*travel tip: use the chicago’s best app to find top rated restaurants unique to the chicago area

7. Visit the Shops along the Magnificent Mile

*travel tip: if you plan on making any purchases make this your last stop or you’ll be stuck carrying around shopping bags all day

8. Check out the art and fun along Navy Pier

*travel tip: don’t miss out on the interactive Loop exhibit, it’s only on display until May 12th

Additional Tips:

*travel tip: carry only the essentials, I recommend a reusable water bottle, phone/camera, wallet, light jacket, and a few snacks in a small backpack for convenience

*travel tip: buy tickets online to avoid long lines at tourist destinations

*travel tip: plan your route beforehand to avoid backtracking when walking, use uber/lyft/taxis when not walking to avoid parking garage fees

*travel tip: wear comfortable walking shoes, you won’t regret it

(btw I was totally singing Chi-cago, Chi-cagooo while doing my best Trina Vega impression the entire trip)

Photos 1 and 5 provided by the author. 2, 3, and 4 linked here.

SAU'21 exercise science/pre-PT my cat is my bestfriend
Her Campus at SAU