Career > Her20s

23 Things I Have Learned in my 23 Years of Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

1. Making Connections is important. Sometimes it isn’t always about what you know but who you know. This isn’t always the case but who you know can make a big difference. 

2. Blood is thicker than water but your chosen family has a bond that is stronger than blood.

3. Prioritize yourself over others bullshit. No one’s main priority in life when you are an adult is you besides you. Don’t let others push you around or be given shit so stand up for yourself. 

4. Learn to ask for help when you need it.

5. Say YES to opportunities!

6. Don’t stay somewhere that makes you unhappy. If it’s the people, place, etc. walk away. 

7. People are going to talk about you behind your back. It’s not worth your time to worry about them. If they are immature and pulling highschool bullshit then they can go back to highschool it’s not worth your time. 

8. Try new things! You may be surprised what it opens you up to or it may be a disaster but gives you a good laugh later down the road when you go down memory lane. 

Girl Happy
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus

9. Don’t let others form you into something you are not.

10. Remember where you come from!

11. Celebrate your successes. 

12. When you are overwhelmed, remember One thought at a time. One task at a time. One day at a time. 

13. Don’t give up the things you love.

14. Set boundaries for yourself, work, extracurriculars, relationships, etc. 

15. Put pride into the work you do.

16. Go on a trip and experience the world or something near you. 

17. Don’t let one small mistake in your past define your present and future. 

18. Don’t judge people before you get to know them. 

19. Find happiness in the little things. Celebrate small successes.

20.  You need to love yourself before you can learn to love others and they can love you.

21. Your friends will change over the years and that is completely normal. 

22. The world can be a cruel place sometimes.

23.  You are not as strong as the weakest part of yourself. You can still overcome and complete great things.

Veronica A(V) is the Campus Correspondent at HC @ SAU. She oversees the entire chapter including editorial, events, social media, etc. Beyond HC, V is involved on campus. She is the President of DAPi. She is the Social Media Director for SAAT, and a Sexual Assault Advocate. Veronica is majoring in Early Childhood Education with an endorsement in Special Education and a minor in Music. She is currently student teaching!!! In her freetime, V plays the flute and other instruments and can sing. She used to play and coach softball. Veronica was born in Florida but now lives in Illinois. She also has 2 cats at home. She was the D.E.I. Ambassador for 2 years.