Why Selena Gomez is Our #WomanCrushWednesday

Singer and actress Selena Gomez (photo provided by Rolling Stone). 

As we all know, the beautiful and talented singer and actress Selena Gomez made her come up from a very young age, starring in Disney Channel’s Wizards of Waverly Place. And even before that, you can find her face in old Barney and Friends episodes. But aside from her well flourished career, Selena Gomez has also dabbled in humanitarian work and her own personal struggles.

I think what makes a celebrity so relatable is not their passion for eating food, “just like the rest of us”, but what they do with their social status. Although Selena Gomez is Instagram's most followed user, but uses her platform to raise awareness. 

In early 2014, Selena Gomez released her statement about dealing with her auto-immune disease, lupus, and was undergoing chemotherapy treatment. To everyone’s surprise, the public couldn’t believe one of the biggest celebrities in the world had a chronic disease.

Gomez has stated in one of her Instagram posts, "I’m very aware some of my fans had noticed I was laying low for part of the summer and questioning why I wasn’t promoting my new music, which I was extremely proud of. So I found out I needed to get a kidney transplant due to my Lupus and was recovering. It was what I needed to do for my overall health. I honestly look forward to sharing with you, soon my journey through these past several months as I have always wanted to do with you."

But, it ties together the two separate worlds we think of in society. We believe the elite and normal civilians are in two completely different realities, but even celebrities deal with 'normal people problems'.

What makes Selena Gomez our #WomanCrushWednesday this week, is her openness to her fans and the transparency to show her struggles.

It’s hard for anyone to be put in the spotlight for years and years and still try to remain somewhat private about their life, but Gomez handles it pretty well as she makes herself relatable to those who love her and respected by everyone.