This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

When thinking of a day out in San Francisco it might include classic sights like the Ferry building, or one of Golden Gate Park’s fabulous museums. An easy way to get around the city is on Muni. However to locals, Muni in SF may only see it as a way to get from point A to point B in the city and nothing more. Anyone who has used public transit will tell you there are better and worse trains you can take.

When moving to San Francisco, the transit options might be overwhelming and confusing but if you are nervous taking the train is a great first step. I will be ranking the train lines from best to worst for a day in San Francisco.

N-Judah 

From the beach to the bay bridge this train has spectacular views and goes past a variety of high traffic areas in the city. It stops only one block from a main entrance of Golden Gate Park, two blocks away from the famous Haigh-Ashbury, and after the Market Street stops, it opens onto a collective view of the ferry building, and bay bridge. There are only a few negatives to this train, the first is that on weekends it is extremely busy since it serves the Sunset district which is a major housing district, and it has a lot of stops making it not an efficient ride. 

J-Church 

Serving Noe Valley and despite making stops at all the Market Street stations, I feel this line is underrated. With its panoramic views as it climbs the hills at Mission Dolores Park, and it’s tour of San Francisco’s charming homes, this train is a delight to ride. The train runs a little slower because of the hills it climbs and the corners it goes around but that means you will have plenty of time for photos. The main problem is it does not run very often since it is not a main commuting line. 

M-Ocean View

The M line is a few of the main commuter trains in the city, with a lot of younger riders getting on from places like the Stonestown Galleria and SF State, it can be a louder ride. Efficiently gliding through the city, it is only one of two lines that stops at Castro. The issue with this train is it is often crowded with students and families trying to get downtown or home after a long day out. With the newer trains you will most likely not get a new seat and be left standing with your coffee in hand. 

T-Third Street

Starting only in January 2023, this new line gives visitors and residents easier access to Chinatown while maintaining service to the east side of the city where the N used to run. Being able to skip a few hills in Chinatown is a true luxury, it also takes you to the heart of the district making exploration easier. However this train requires passengers who are on the main line Market Street, leave the Muni station and transfer. This may make the experience feel more broken because of the awkward transfer. 

K-Ingleside 

This line is faster than most, the train has the right of way on the majority of the surface streets, and it can get students from City College to downtown. It is also one of the two lines that serve Forest hill. This train does not run as often, nor does it have a beautiful view like other train lines. This train is made for commuters from Ingleside and not for a tourist day out.

L-Taraval 

This used to be a train line but since 2021 it has been a bus route. The main perk of this extremely short line is that it ends at the San Francisco Zoo and Ocean Beach. It runs on the more residential side of the streets and so it does not have a view until the end. The main reason it is at the bottom of my list is because it will not be a train line again until 2024. 

Muni in my mind is not just for commuting or exploration, but it can also move as a rolling cafe, with stunning views of the city depending on the line. SF transit isn’t like other major cities like New York where a majority of the lines are underground, we get to enjoy the California sunshine on our trains even when we are just commuting.

Jessica Sheppard

San Francisco '24

Hello, my name is Jessica Sheppard I am originally from Sacramento. I am currently a third year student at San Francisco State and pursuing a degree in communications. My aspiration is to be a professor of communications. I have a passion for rock climbing, gardening, baking and writing short stories. Reading is another favorite pass time of mine and my genre of choice is fiction. My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jessica-sheppard-sfsu/