This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

October brings more than a chill in the air and the promise of an eerie night, with the changing of the seasons comes a new set of trends. This fall switch up your current beauty routine to something fun and festive with these tips and tricks! 

Nails

If you are someone who has to have their nails done at all times, whether it be acrylic sets, simple clean girl manicures, or gel-x extensions it is time to ditch the bright neon colors of summer and start eyeing a new color palette. This time of year, it looks like dark wine red nails are the new it girl nails with shades varying from true dark red wine to more rich plum reds paired usually with mid length nails in an almond or square shape. Similarly, mocha brown is quite in as well, being done in a shorter square length or in a long coffin shaped sleek french tip! Not into monotone nails? Try a cute pattern of alternating colors in an autumn palette like brown, red, beige, and orange. If you want to sparkle without being too blinding, try adding a chrome top coat to any of these colors for a beautiful luminous vibe. 

Makeup

Latte makeup and pumpkin spice makeup are brewing in the same pot this fall, embracing warmer tones such as burnt orange blush, berry lips stains, cool contour, brown lip liner, and subtle smokey eyes. Keep it simple and cool on your night out by adding some brown or black eyeliner across your lids to spice up your eye look and accompany it with a light champagne colored shimmer in your inner corners and a touch of brown eyeshadow in your crease and under your waterline. Try out a new lip combo by combining a darker lip liner such as a brown or mauve nude with either a ‘just ate a cherry’ red stain or a bright nude lip gloss. Since the sun will be making less and less appearances this fall, try not to miss your sweet tan and instead swap your warm bronzers for a cool shade of contour to keep your cheekbones, jaw, and nose snatched. 

Hair

The bright blonde balayage is out, caramel highlights, dark brownie batter, and cherry cola red is in! If you’re looking to change up your usual hair color, expect your pinterest feed to be filled with gorgeous fall tones and long layered haircuts. This fall, hair trends sound like the yummiest fall treats! Instead of keeping up with a sunny bleach blonde look try some warmer golden shade for your highlights or go to the dark side and try going dark brown or black. Want some warmth and dimension with a fun little twist? Try mixing dark red with brown dye to get a pretty shade similar to that of cherry cola with hair that looks all one color until the sunlight reflects the red hues. Long layered hair is here to stay maybe now with some extra face framing pieces or curtain bangs. If you’re into the shorter styles, straight or layered bobs are steadily gaining popularity paired with blunt forehead bangs.  

Essentially, this fall is all about classics with a twist mainly focused on keeping it neutral with fun festive pops. So this season play around with these fall trends and try out something new and who knows, maybe next year it won’t be seasonal but rather a staple in your beauty routine! 

Galilea Madrid

San Francisco '25

Hi hi! My name is Galilea Madrid & I'm from Los Angeles, California. I'm currently a Biology major with a concentration in Ecology, Evolution and Conservation at San Francisco State aspiring to become a future veterinarian. I'm passionate about a multitude of topics such as pop culture, film, music, literature, fashion, activism, politics, and sustainability. I love live music, reading, astronomy, writing, traveling, and the ocean! ✩ follow me on insta & twitter at @galil8a ✩