What Not To Do Your College Freshmen Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

1. Get drunk on a weekday

As college freshmen, we’re bound to be invited to parties that do not fall on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. It could be something as small as a gathering of friends in someone’s dorm, but by all means be sure not to get drunk on a weekday. Having to go to class the next day, especially if you have an 8 A.M will be killer. It will never be a good idea to get drunk on a weekday. It may seem that the price is worth it if it means having fun with friends but you’ll love yourself a whole lot more if you don’t let this happen.

(Photo credit by Tumblr)

2.  Waste your money trying to get weed or alcohol

You will be broke. Textbooks, food, Ubers/Lyfts will be taking your money in college for sure. People will be offering you weed and alcohol in college all the time and you will be able to buy it from them, but be sure to keep it in moderation. The numbers will add up in the end and your bank account will hate you for it.

(Photo credit by DefyingShadows)

3. Only buy cup of noodles at Costco

Yes, it’s the cheapest and yes it’s a stereotype for college kids to survive off of cup of noodles but don’t let this be the only thing you buy from Costco. There’s so many other things you can buy in bulk that’s better for you than those cups of sodium. Also after the tenth cup you will be sick of the taste and regret buying a bulk of 60.

(Photo credit by Giphy)

4. Isolate yourself

It can get overwhelming being in a new environment surrounded by new people but don’t let that be the reason why you spend all your free time in your room. If anything you should try putting yourself out there, making connections and friends. Clubs are always welcoming and there are many organizations on campus and one is bound to fit your interests. Your college experience will be better with people in it.

(Photo credit by Degrassi Wikia)

5. Wait last minute for anything

Don’t wait last minute for FAFSA, registering for classes, or signing up for anything. Time is essential in college so don’t wait a second of it. When you’re able to get a task done, do it right then and there so you don’t fall behind. If you have homework and a job you won’t want any other pressure on your shoulders so don’t wait last minute for anything. You’ll thank yourself later when you see all your other friends freaking out.

(Photo credit by billbachao)

Sahar Swaleh

San Francisco