Top 5 Best Moments From The 2016 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

From the star-studded red carpet, to the haute couture fresh of the runway, the Oscars is the most iconic award ceremony of the year. This year, the Oscars was more anticipated than normal due to the #OscarsSoWhite controversy, and whether Leonardo DiCaprio would finally snag a gold statue. Regardless, the Oscars never disappoints. Here are the top 5 best moments from the Oscars this year.

5) Chris Rock’s well received opening monologue addressed the white elephant in the room – #OscarsSoWhite controversy. For those of you who are not aware of the situation, many black actors boycotted the Oscars this year. They claim the industry is in favor of white actors receiving quality work and reaping the benefits (aka Oscar nominations and wins). 

4) Everyone went Gaga for Gaga – literally! Lady Gaga’s tear jerking performance of her song, ‘Til’ It Happens To You’, addressed the hardships and struggles of survivors of sexual abuse. Towards the end of the song she brings out survivors of sexual abuse. They all have meaningful messages written on their arms. 

3) Former Clueless star Stacey Dash’s awkward “Happy Black History Month” joke. Apparently, she is clueless on how to work a crowd.

2) Better than that awkward moment was Chrissy Teigen’s facial reaction to Stacey Dash’s cringe worthy speech. Her facial expression got more positive attention than Stacey Dash has gotten…well, ever. Now that is how you work a crowd! But, to be fair, Chrissy slays every crowd without trying because she is just a bad ass B. Take notes Stacey…take notes. 

1) And of course the number one moment goes to the Leonardo DiCaprio. The handsome star finally won his well-deserved Oscar for his performance in The Revenant. Did you know the word revenant means a person who has returned, supposedly from death? Well, Leo certainly did return to the Oscars with a vengeance and killed the competition. Oh, and can we also thank Leo for addressing the issues of global warming during his acceptance speech? So, thank you for making the world a better place with your rugged good looks and willingness to change Leo. Now…if only we could clone you…