Top 3 Reasons Why Bridgerton Fans are Obsessing over Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

At the beginning of May 2023, the amazing Shonda Rhimes who has created classic TV shows like Grey’s Anatomy, and Scandal, released the spin-off series Queen Charlotte to her recent TV success Bridgerton. 

The show has only been released for less than two weeks and the show has already become viral over social media platforms like Twitter and Tiktok. The show has earned a 93% from rotten tomatoes, and fans are obsessed over the series. But why? 

The Stunning Romances

Not only does Shonda Rhimes take us through the love story of Queen Charlotte and King George, where we see their heartfelt and heartbreaking love story, but she also gives us smaller romances throughout the series that are just as chilling. 

Without any spoilers, we get a glimpse of Queen Charlotte’s Butler, Brimsely’s, love life. His character alone is extremely favorable in the series and his life is filled with secret romance that keeps the audience on their toes. 

Fans also get a peek into Lady Danburry’s past love life. She is one of the most beloved characters in the Bridgerton series and is now in the spin-off. Her character receives so much depth and much more insight into her as a person in this new series. Her love stories within the show showcase lust, self-discovery, and women’s empowerment. 

The Hair 

Fans already love the Bridgerton series for the beautiful diversity the show showcases as it’s rare in Hollywood to see beautiful men and women of color in 18th-century productions. With diversity, comes the inclusion of all different hair types, and hairstyles. 

In the spin-off we see Queen Charlotte embracing her natural hair, a beautiful afro, frequently throughout the series. We see her natural hair in all circumstances as well, not just in a casual setting. She appears at the royal ball, her wedding, and all royal events with her hair completely natural, decorated with ribbons, jewels, and flowers. 

Not to forget the iconic Lady Danbury’s braids throughout the series, Nic Collins, the lead makeup and hair stylist on the set absolutely outdid themselves by embracing the natural hair of the actresses in the series. The hairstyles of both Lady Danbury and Queen Charlotte truly steal the show. 

King George 

If you’ve watched the previous seasons of Bridgerton you’ve probably only seen a few clips of King George. He’s been portrayed as nothing but an old, dwelling king. In Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton story, King George is the easiest character to fall in love with, some fans say he even passes up Lord Bridgerton and the Duke from seasons one and two. 

From his charming smile to his perfected romanticism, fans quickly fall in love with King George’s character, making it easy to enjoy the series and watch him and the queen discover their love. 

This is a must-watch series! Even if you’re a new Bridgerton fan this show truly has something for everybody and won’t fail to bring a smile to your face, and warmth to your heart. 

Livia Williams

San Francisco '26

Hello! My name is Livia Williams I am currently a second year at SFSU majoring in journalism. I am a huge advocate for social justice issues and find pride in addressing the inequality that sadly still exists within our societies. I like to tell stories from women all over the world and captivate readers into understanding the obstacles they face on a day to day basis. I hope to provide women with a sense of peace when they read my work and gift them with the realization that they are not alone, and we are all in this together.