Things Bay Area Commuters Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Not every college student can relate to the #commutinglife. A good portion of college students live on campus and are living the ideal “college life.” Sometimes as a commuter, you feel like you’re missing out. But I’m here to tell you that you are not alone, trust me. (#TeamBART) Commuting to school can be pretty chill or can be a real a struggle. It can also be quite an adventure! Whether you drive to school or take public transportation, you might probably relate to the following post.

Waking up extra early to get to school

You don’t have the luxury living on campus and rolling out of bed 10-15 minutes before your class. You have to wake up at least an hour or two before your class to get ready. Shout out those with 8 A.M. classes. You the real MVP.

Missing the bus or train and having to wait between 10 to 40 minutes for the next one

If only I walked faster to the platform or bus stop. If only I didn’t contour my face. if only I didn’t grab Starbucks. If only I didn’t pet the dog. Now you forgot your clipper card and you have to pay in change. The struggle is real.

Traffic

Oh boy. If you have class in morning or afternoon, there’s a guarantee you’ll run into traffic on 280 or 101. If you commute by car from the East Bay or North bay, I give you props for crossing the bridge everyday to get a good education. Shout out to you too South Bay, who’s the farthest away from San Francisco. You all have great patience.

Hearing this: “Oh you’re a commuter?”

Boi. I can’t. San Francisco State is a COMMUTER CAMPUS. Yes, I commute. Almost everyone commutes. Let’s not forget the follow up comment: “That sucks that you commute and live at home. You’re not living the college experience.” Yes, I’m not living the “college experience” that I always wanted but I’m also not paying rent and not eating cup of noodle every night so…

Making friends with commuters

Commuters. They’re everywhere. You see them on the bus, on the train, and in your classes! I’ve become friends who commute farther than me. I have commuter friends that live in the East Bay or close to Silicon Valley. Now you don’t have to commute alone, you can commute with your new friends!

Trying to avoid people from high school

*Whispers* They’re everywhere. It doesn’t apply to me (to a certain extent) but I know there are some people out there who have done this on campus or at the bus stop. It’s a little awkward if you ask me. You’re trying to hide from someone and end up in the same bus or train.

Getting on the wrong bus or falling asleep

I’ve never fallen asleep on the train or bus before because I don’t live that far but I have definitely gotten on the wrong bus. Buses can be assholes okay? They like to change their routes out of the blue. I speak from personal experience. Do NOT get on the 28R if you want to go to Daly City BART.

You’ve seen it all on public transportation

You’ve seen angry bus drivers, you’ve been yelled at by crazies, know the Daly City BART smell, seen people drink henney straight from the bottle at 10am, been around loud and ratchet high schoolers, seen interesting choices of clothing, or people singing to themselves in a quiet bus.

Being a commuter does has its perks though.

Your friends depend on you when you go out because you’re an expert with transportation

You’ve explained to tourists how to get to their destination

People come to you for info about San Francisco or the Bay

You make friends with people who live on campus and let you chill at their place in between your classes

You feel like a badass adult

Alondra Vega

San Francisco '19

Senior at San Francisco State University.