free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things All RAs Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Ah, the life of a Residential Assistant. Helping freshmen, designing programs, and creating a small community on campus. In short, it’s complicated and something no one can truly understand… unless they are an RA. 

Here are five things all RAs can relate to. 

1. Your job description doesn’t actually describe what you do as an RA

Becoming an unqualified therapist? Fixing washing machines and broken thermostats? Creating programs that sometimes no one will show up to? Yeah, I don’t remember seeing that in my contract. 

But am I going to handle it like the boss bitch I am? Most definitely.

2. Trying to find and manage a good work life balance

Even though priority registration is definitely a huge perk, working where you live and living where you work can be a struggle at times. Especially trying to figure out how to have a social life, sleep, and being a full-time student all at once.

3. But because of that, you’ve become a master planner

Hit the gym at 6AM, classes from 8AM to 11AM, club meeting at 12PM, and floor program at 4PM? You got it, dude.

4. You have friends that decide to make plans while you’re on duty 

Yeah, like thanks guys for making plans without me. It’s not my fault I can’t leave campus to babysit the freshmen.

5. Witnessing a housing policy being violated when you’re not on duty

To document the situation or pretend that it didn’t happen is the real question. 

Even with all of this happening and it’s beyond messy, you still have the best job ever 

Seeing our residents happy and thriving and the end of the day makes it all worth it.

All gifs in this article were provided by Giphy.com.