lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

That’s What (S)he said: Relationship “Rules”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

So they say that men are from Mars and women are from Venus. Yet we all live on Earth, so just how different are men and women when it comes to relationships, work, music and everything else? Well, Her Campus San Francisco is going to attempt to answer this puzzling phenomenon in a series of articles that we’re calling “That’s What (S)he Said”. Each piece will consist of three questions to which a female answer will be given and a male answer will be given.

***Our one big rule is absolutely zero collaboration. Andy has no idea how Jasmijn is going to answer and Jasmijn has no idea how Andy is going to answer. ***

Today we will be discussing relationship rules. Well, (picturing Captain Barbosa) more like guidelines than actual rules :p.

Casually dating but not yet official, what are the expectations with interactions of the opposite sex?

What (s)he said:

You ARE single, do whatever you  please with whomever you please. Simple as that. Okay, maybe not that simple. Sometimes there is some confusion because you’ve been seeing the cute athlete from class and then you meet a handsome gentleman at the coffee shop, and it’s like: what do I do!? The guidelines I like to live by (this goes for guys and girls) is “How would I feel if he/she was doing the same thing?” If the answer involves renting a truck and running over the competition, you may want to think how casual your relationship really is and you probably should not go get it on with this new interest. If not, go for it, have fun, be safe, and enjoy the single life! Just remember all actions have consequences for both you and everyone involved, so think ahead and be courteous of the feelings of others.

What he said:

You are technically single, so do what you want. But as someone who has never juggled multiple girls at the same time, I would hope that the girl whom I’m casually dating isn’t hooking up with other guys. While it’s not cheating, it just irks me. Since there is a 99% chance that I won’t be seeing other girls while casually dating someone, it would be a disappointment to hear that she’s had sex with other guys.

If and when a girl and I decide we want to become official, then the topic of “have you been seeing anyone else” will definitely come up. If she has gone on a few dates but not hooked-up with anyone else then that’s not a big deal to me. But if she’s been hooking up with other guys I would feel like I wasn’t enough for her and probably would end things to be honest.

Andrew Bensch

San Francisco

Andrew is a rising senior at San Francisco State University majoring in broadcast journalism. While he hopes to some day work in the sports media industry, becoming a professional columnist for a women's magazine is also on his radar. While in college Andrew has contributed sports columns to such sites like Foxsports.com, Insidehockey.com, and Bleacherreport.com. But don't be fooled, he isn't just your typical jock, after all he is willing to admit he actually loves chick flicks like "27 Dresses" "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" and "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". He also enjoys shows like "The OC", "One Tree Hill", "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and "Teen Wolf" and wonders aloud why more college men don't open up about their love for these types of programs.