This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Isn’t it frustrating when you’re trying to plan a trip with your friends in the group chat, and it never leaves the “talking about it” phase? Well, no more waiting on friends this spring break and trying to coordinate with friends and family. This time around, treat yourself to a solo trip. 

Why do a solo trip? It allows you to gain confidence and personal growth while pursuing goals and aspirations you may not have been able to do while others accompanied you. Solo trips give individuals a unique experience and a new perspective on the world without the influence of any companions. I believe solo trips can be a very empowering experience, especially for womxn, as we have been conditioned to think that the world is dangerous for us. While it may be true to some degree, we shouldn’t be operating off fear. 

Some reasons womxn are hesitant about planning solo trips revolve around safety concerns. Women fear experiencing harassment, violence, and theft, especially in countries where the culture isn’t as friendly toward womxn’s rights. Another concern is language barriers. Communication connects humans, and when you travel to a place where your language isn’t spoken, it can be very intimidating to make your way around the region. Lastly, many of us genuinely enjoy having that companionship when experiencing new sights, sounds, and surroundings. Entering a different culture alone can be overwhelming and challenging, making people feel out of place. 

Below I have listed some of the top womxn friendly countries to visit. All these countries have unique perks that make them a travel favorite among solo travellers.

The top solo traveller destinations are:

• Thailand
  • Japan
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Costa Rica
  • Iceland
  • Portugal
  • New Zealand

Remember, this article is not to discourage you from treating yourself to a solo trip; make this spring break your #empowermentera. Once you take that leap of faith and experience this trip, the rewarding feeling you’ll take away from the journey will make you want to do it again and again and again.

Remember that group chat I mentioned at the beginning? Feel free to remove yourself from the conversation ;)

Starr Washington

San Francisco '25

Hey everyone! I'm Starr and I serve as the Senior Editor for Her Campus at San Francisco. I'm currently a third year student at San Francisco State University majoring in Broadcast Electronic Communication Arts with a minor in Africana Studies. As Senior Editor, I am extremely passionate about amplifying the voices of my diverse team of writers. In my rare free time, I enjoy relaxing with my dog, watching reruns of my favorite shows, and scrolling on Instagram. Speaking of Instagram follow me @starr_wash!