Spooky Tales to Get You into the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Are you ready for Halloween? Check out these dark and spooky tales that will get you into the Halloween spirit!

#1: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Source

Contrary to what we have learnt from movies, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein does not have a mad scientist ensconced in a lab developing a monster. Rather, it focuses on Victor Frankenstein, a college student whose obsession with generating life leads to the creation of a hideous creature—one that wreaks havoc in Victor’s life.

#2: Dracula by Bram Stoker

Source

What happens when Dracula attempts to move from his Transylvanian home to the streets of London? Read Bram Stoker’s classic tale and find out!

#3: The Vampyre by John William Polidori

Source

The concept of vampires actually originated with John Polidori’s story, The Vampyre. This book is a must-read for anyone who is interested in vampires—of the frightening sort, of course!

Did you know that Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, and John Polidori wrote their respective tales as a result of a competition to see who could write the scariest story? In 1816, also known as “The Year without a Summer,” the three along with Mary Shelley’s husband, Percy Shelley, visited Lord Byron in Switzerland. Stuck indoors, they decided to amuse themselves by writing and these three novels were the result. Halloween is the perfect time to read all three and decide for yourself who won!

#4: Short Stories by Edgar Allan Poe

Source

Immerse yourself in Poe’s beautiful writing! With stories like “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Black Cat,” you’ll definitely find one that interests you.

#5: Short Stories by Roald Dahl

Source

We all know Roald Dahl as the beloved author of children stories such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach, but did you know that he also wrote much darker stories for adults? He has numerous collections of short stories such as “Lamb to the Slaughter” that are reminiscent of Poe’s tales.

#6: “La Llorona” or “The Crying Woman”

Source

Veering away from English tradition, we now turn to the classic Mexican tale of a woman who cries for her children, whom she has murdered.

#7: “The Horla” by Guy the Maupassant

Source

In this short tale by the famous French writer Guy de Maupassant, a man unknowingly waves a spirit into his home and becomes possessed by it, slowly spiraling into madness.

#8: “Roshōmon” by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa

Source

This Japanese tale is not a classic horror story per se, but it is dark nonetheless. It is difficult to deny that the disturbing image of an old woman pulling the hair of the dead does not make us shiver. Indeed, “Roshōmon” is perfect for a Halloween night.

Whether you love Halloween and have plans already or whether you’re still thinking about your costume, don’t hesitate and get into the spirit of all things scary with these uncanny tales!

Elizabeth Lee

San Francisco

Elizabeth is currently a junior at San Francisco State University where she is studying Comparative Literature. She enjoys writing, learning foreign languages, and yoga.