Soaking Up SF Culture: Exhibits and Events You Should Put on Your “To-Do List”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

One of the wonderful things about San Francisco is that there is always a multitude of exhibits and events where you can immerse yourself into a rich variety of culture. If your in the mood to gaze a modern art, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is open seven days a week, if you want to watch a troupe of authentic flamenco dancers without having to visit Spain, then you can do so at the Palace of Fine Arts. Point being, there is always an event or exhibit happening in the city that can cater to a lot of interests, whether it is fashion or photography.

To take advantage of the melting pot of exhibits and events in the city, here are a few popular exhibits and shows that are currently happening around town.          

The De Young Museum: This museum, formally known as the “Fine Arts Building” has sat in Golden Gate Park for 121 years, and was named for the co-founder of the San Francisco Chronicle, and the chair of the exposition committee, Michael H. de Young. Since then, the museum has hosted an assortment art exhibits every year, and according to the “History of the de Young Museum” page on the de Young website “the new museum is the most visited art museum west of the Mississippi…”

Currently, the museum is featuring photographer Janet Delaney, with “The South of Market” exhibit, which features photographs that show the changes that took place in the “south of market” neighborhood of San Francisco in the 70’s and 80’s. If you’re interested in color photography that captures life with an anthropological lens, then this exhibit is recommended. Delaney’s work is described by ‘deyoung.famsf.org’ as follows, “Her luscious color prints transcend the time and place in which they were produced. Collectively, they offer a unique perspective for today’s viewers, who may be bearing witness to a new citywide wave of gentrification in San Francisco brought on by the second Internet Boom.” The exhibit is open until July 19th, and is only $7 dollars for students. 

The Legion of Honor: This museum with a French Pavilion style architecture was temporarily constructed for the 1915 San Francisco Panama Pacific International Exposition, which was a sort of ‘coming out party’ for the new bustling city of San Francisco. However, most of the buildings constructed were demolished after the fair concluded, (except for the Palace of Fine Arts). A rich and upper-class woman Alma Spreckels loved the building so much she encouraged her husband to have an exact replica built as an art museum. After getting approval from French government, (she wanted an exact copy of the original Palais de la Legion d’Honneur in Paris), the museum    was finished, and opened in 1924.

Fast-forward to 2015, and the upcoming exhibit, “High Style: The Brooklyn Museum Costume Collection,” is set to open on March 13th, and will remain open until July 19th. For any fashion lover, this exhibit will be a must see, since it is comprised of a collection of costumes that show the history of fashion since 1910. According to the “Legion of Honor – Upcoming Exhibitions” page, “High Style captures the key points of the 20th-century fashion design with rare pieces from French couture houses, including pieces by Jeanne Lanvin, Elsa Schiaparelli, Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel, and Hubert de Givenchy.” Bring your student ID with you and you only have to pay $16-$19 bucks. 

Beach Blanket Babylon: Even though this may not be as scholarly as visiting a museum, it does offer a hilarious and fun musical show, that parodies current cultural phenomena such as things like the movie “Frozen” or the reality star Kim Kardashian. The show has been running exclusively in San Francisco for over 40 years, and has received rave reviews from the San Francisco Chronicle and even The London Times. 

They offer shows on Wednesdays through Sundays, and have reasonably priced tickets, (unless you want the premium box seats, which start at $100 dollars). Additionally, if you are over 21, you are permitted to attend the evening performances where they serve an assortment of wine and champagne, however, if your under 21 the matinee shows are still available on Sundays.   

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.