SlugBooks: A Money Saver for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

As college students, we know how expensive textbooks can be. However, it doesn’t have to be! With SlugBooks, students have a one-stop location to compare prices and find the least expensive bookseller online. You might be wondering how it works, and it’s quite simple. On their website, you merely search the title or the ISBN of your book, and the database will list all the available prices.

Not only does SlugBooks help save some much-needed cash, but I’m sure that as the semester comes to an end, we all have books that we never want to lay eyes on again. SlugBooks also compares buyback prices, so that you can choose the option that will most benefit you.

Sounds like a great tool, right? SlugBooks originally began as a co-op bookstore in Santa Cruz. However, it couldn’t cope against the competition of online marketplaces such as Amazon, and it was forced to shut down. In 2008, David Miller—who used to work at said bookstore—created this website in order to continue the original vision of providing college students with a more affordable way to get their textbooks, and thus far, it provides its services to American and Canadian college students.

As you begin considering selling your books—or buying books if you are taking summer classes—SlugBooks might be worth checking out. Who knows? You might even find a bargain.

Elizabeth Lee

San Francisco

Elizabeth is currently a junior at San Francisco State University where she is studying Comparative Literature. She enjoys writing, learning foreign languages, and yoga.