Schoolbag Essentials for the Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

As the middle of the semester approaches, the days for the average student start to get more stressful, the weather gets a little bit cooler, and illness starts to spread like wild fire around campus; basically the middle of the semester is the definition of being in a tiresome and stressed slump and mid-terms season can take its toll on already weary students.                  Luckily, there are a few things that every girl should have in their schoolbag that can help them fight against the mid-semester slump, and all that it brings.         

1) A way to help prevent the cold and flu: Via the cold and flu shortening melt, Cold-Eeze. These honey and lemon flavored tablets contain Zinc and Glycyrrhiza, ingredients that help shorten and relieve cold and flu symptoms such as a cough and sore throat. They are all – natural, so you don’t have to worry about becoming addicted to them, and they are easy to carry around and fit in your purse. So if you feel slightly “off”, and feel like your developing a cold or flu, or already have a cold or flu, then these little tablets are a great option to help you feel better, boost your immune system, and get you feeling better faster.          

2) A way to make your mornings less stressed, and make your hair look fabulous: Having some object in your bag that can tame your hair is always a good idea, especially with fall weather, when the wind starts to pick up, giving you a disheveled look instead of a graceful, windswept one. Try using a hairspray like “Tresemme Expert Selection, Perfectly (Un)Done hairspray.” This refreshing hairspray has a special sea salt extract, and is suitable for both wavy and straight hair. If you have a limited amount of time to get ready in the morning, and are wondering, “what on Earth am I going to do with my hair today”, then simply spray on a few squirts of this hair spray on slightly damp hair, and crimp with your fingers to get a fun and effortless wavy beach look. You’ll feel good about your hair, and you’ll look calm, cool and collected. Best of all, it will take you less that 10 minutes. And if you need some more help with your hair during the course of day, the little bottle is perfect to carry with you for reapplying the yummy smelling spray.  

3) A way to help those chapped lips: Cooler weather always brings on chapped lips because your skin can become dry and cracked from the windy or crisp and cool weather. To help combat those dry lips try using “Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Swivel Stick, Ultimate Moisture.” This handy lip balm contains vitamin E, which helps smooth and soothe rough lips, plus it smells and tastes really nice. It is also good to rub on other parts of dry skin, such as your hands. The petite swivel bottle will fit easily in your schoolbag, and is a handy way to make sure your lips stay nice and soft and moisturized. 

4) A much needed energy boost: Our body starts to hit a wall around 2:00pm. This is what we like to call the infamous mid-afternoon slump. When it hits us, it hits us hard, and then we crash. Luckily, there is a cure! Thanks to 5-Hour energy shots, you can feel energized throughout the day without experiencing a crash later. That’s because this little shot of flavor-town goodness is packed with vitamins and caffeine to keep you going without negatively affecting you later. They are very convenient because they are easy to travel with since they are small. You can throw them in your bag and drink it whenever you want it. And since they are small, you can drink them within seconds. Talk about a quick boost! 

5) A way to keep your eye makeup looking flawless: NYC City Proof 24HR eyeshadow is waterproof and makeup artist approved to keep you looking fierce all day long. They come in a variety of on trend colors like green and purple, and classic neutral shades such as browns, cream, and white. The crème shadows can be used as a base for powdered eyeshadow because they hold onto powder really well. You can also use it as a highlighter by applying it below your brow line, and around the inner corner of your eyes. If you want a pop of color on your lower lid, you can apply the eyeshadow like a liner. Whatever you choose to do, these shadows will stay on all day, which means you will look fabulous all day.

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.