The Reason SFSU Doesn’t Have a Football Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

The fall semester at college is normally filled with tailgates, rowdy football games and homecoming parties but at SFSU things are a little different.

If you’re currently a student or are looking into attending San Francisco State University in the future you may have noticed that SFSU does not have a football team. There are a few reasons why there are no football players rocking the purple and gold nowadays.

SFSU was once the proud owner of a powerhouse football team in the 50’s and 60’s but the team was made obsolete in the spring of 1995. This was partly because of budget cuts but mainly because of a new CSU gender equality act. Title IX was an act created in 1972 to promote gender equality in all aspects of college life. When SFSU put the act in motion they were told they had to have balanced sports teams. This meant that without a female football team there could be no male football team.

The act has been upheld for twenty years now and is still going strong. While not having a football team may make SFSU seem like it’s missing a huge part of the college experience, it really shows how important gender representation is to the school. And who knows, maybe sometime in the future football will be reinstated and SFSU can become the first CSU with an all female football team!