The Pros and Cons of Staying Home for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Spring Break is coming up and for most college students, that means a week of non-stop partying. There is a romanticized ideal that with Spring Break comes a trip with your best friends to the college kids paradise, preferably on the beach, where you can dance and drink with people you’ve never met and will never have to see again. All this sounds fine and dandy, but my Spring Break plans are a little less euphoric. Here are the pros and cons of going home for Spring Break.

PROS:

Needed Decompression 

I don’t know about you, but I am tired. Not periodically, just generally. I need a week to stay in bed all day and play with my cat. While going on some kind of youthful adventure is not exactly hard work, planning and executing even the simplest road trip can be stressful. Did you pack everything you need? Are you sure you’re not getting lost? What time does our train leave? I need some solid pajama time where all I need to worry about is not eating too much junk food.

Me Time

Going out with others is great and healthy for your social psyche. However, if you’re like me, you spend every day dealing with people. Say goodbye to people. I do not plan on interacting with any impatient old folk or soul crushing TSA workers. It is just as beneficial to spend time with yourself and do what you want to do. You can finally catch up on that book you’ve been wanting to read, or the new season of your favorite show. Taking a trip with others means planning your schedule with their needs. Instead, focus on yourself and discover what makes you happy.

Gotta Save the Dough

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have had to make a lot of payments this year. Whether it be for food or suspicious school fees, my bank account has taken a hit. I can only guess, but it seems like a Spring Break excursion would be pretty expensive. Every depiction of a Spring Break Vacation I have ever seen has always looked pricey. First of all there is the hotel room and transportation, which will be astronomical, unless you are planning on bumming the whole thing which I imagine only leads to horror stories. Then there is food and the proper gear, which can’t be cheap either. Anyway, why spend any money when you could spend no money! Leach onto your parents while you still can. Stay home and nap. Napping is free.

CONS:

You’re Only Young Once

The only con I could think of is kind of all encompassing. The Spring Break experience seems to be a crucial part of college life. This is a short moment when you don’t have to worry about papers or grades and you just get to enjoy being youthful. I think it is a shame that so many young people feel so stressed and overwhelmed by daily life when this is supposed to be a time of adventure and living life to it’s fullest before adulthood. So, in that sense, go! Be wild! Do something unexpected and cross a few things off your bucket list. Afterall, there is no Spring Break after college.

Disclaimer

This is my first year of college, so I have therefore never experienced any type of Spring Break as a college student. Due to this, obviously I have no idea what I am talking about. This is all just speculation based on poor assumptions. Thanks for reading!