This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

The 2016 baseball postseason has had two thoughts recurring in my mind. The first, the Dodgers management has yet to figure out how to deal with Clayton Kershaw in times where he is put under an exceptional amount of pressure and this is a big issue. The second (and the topic of this article) is more of a question: Why do the Cleveland Indians still bare a controversial name and logo?

Along with the usual celebrations that accompany the postseason, this year has been different and met with some protests from Native Americans. Sources like The Washington Post and ABC News have written articles covering efforts to protest the use of Chief Wahoo on the Indian’s gear in Canada, to which MLB responded with saying it “appreciates the concerns.” To me this does not say or do enough.

The Cleveland Indians have worn their logo this postseason very proudly, adorning the red faced, big nosed, caricature on the caps in their world series portraits. Fans have dressed up in garments that are sacred in Native culture such as headdresses and go as far as painting their faces red to get into the rallying mood. Then there is the thought of the Atlanta Braves with their “Tomahawk chop” chant and tomahawk logo. Let us not forget that up until 1986, their mascot was Chief Noc-A-Homa who was an actual tribal elder that would dress up in Native clothing and watch the game from a teepee set up in the stadium, setting off smoke signals every time a player hit a homerun. This, apparently, was going too far and getting too controversial by the 80s, so the chief was removed. But the most famous chief, Levi Walker, has said that he enjoyed playing the part and that he loves his team.

So should all of the current practices that involve mock Native American traditions be banned from baseball?

Although I am not Native American I feel that as a minority I can relate. I think that if at least a few Natives show concern or take offense to these teams, the offensive parts should be removed. Baseball is one of America’s greatest prides and has come so far in the sense that it has been progressive when it comes to hiring players of color, so why can it not seem to remove these offensive logos? It can become a great role model for teams like the Washington Redskins and Kansas City Chiefs. Not only that, but I think that if any team’s fans were to rally while wearing black face, that would never be tolerated. Native Americans are a culture, too, and should be respected just the same.

There has been a great hunger for change amongst the American people as of late. Baseball should be a part of it.

Valerie Duarte

San Francisco

An 18-year-old journalism student at SFSU. Los Angeles native. Very indecisive. Likes to have her cake and matcha lattes, too.