The Perks of Joining a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Joining a sorority is one of the best decisions I’ve made in my entire life. Many girls rush into a sorority for several different reasons, whether it’s prior involvement in leadership or sports and missing that dynamic of being part of something bigger. Meanwhile, others are just trying to get involved because they’ve never had the opportunity to do so before.

Some rush into a sorority because their roommates and friends are making them, but in most cases, girls are just trying to make new friends and find a place of acceptance in order to cope with being away from home.

I can honestly say I rushed for all of the reasons listed above. I never would have predicted that I would love and enjoy the sorority life as much as I do today. Compared to other universities, San Francisco State is such a commuter school and there is not much campus life out here, so it’s hard for girls to make the best out of their college experience when they aren’t given a whole lot of options to do so.

Deciding to go through the recruitment process gives you the opportunity to meet so many girls you probably would have never met. It also gives you the chance to open up and become close with so many new and interesting girls and even future friends.

Alpha Phi sisters on Bid Day with the old and new crew! 

Being a part of Greek life in general, opens up so many new doors for you. For example, getting involved in events that most people have no idea are even going on, really great networking and job opportunities, leadership experience, and so much more.

To get a little more personal with my involvement in a sorority, I recently got out of an unhealthy relationship that took up my entire freshman year. I was constantly with my boyfriend and allowed him to change certain things about me that I promised myself I would never change for anyone. I missed out on so much during my first year of college and stuck with someone that I always had to make excuses for. Ending my relationship and transforming back into the person I was were two crucial things I needed to do. I would have never overcame these obstacles if it weren’t for all the love, advice and support of my sorority sisters.

During the past couple of weeks, so many sisters have reached out to me and have showed me the true meaning of sisterhood. I am more confident than ever that I made the right decision in joining a sorority. Each and every single day I am so grateful for rushing into a sorority because I found my best friends within my sorority that truly bring out the best in me. Now I understand what my mom was talking about when she told me that you find your lifelong friends and even your bridesmaids, during your college experience. It’s an experience you’ll never know whether you’ll enjoy it or not unless you actually experience it for yourself.

Photo by Brieana Shimada 

Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.