One Month Later: Reflecting on Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

If you’ve been following HerCampus for the last month, you would know that I have been writing about my journey with birth control!

Honestly, it’s one of the best decisions I have made in my life.

This week, I started taking the placebo or “sugar” pills, which means that I would stop taking hormones in order for my body to have my period. 

I didn’t expect immediate relief, but surprisingly, my body took birth control really well.

Unlike my usual symptoms, of a heavy period, cramps, and acne, it was like all of these symptoms went away. Sometimes, I even forgot that I was on my period! The only symptoms I had was I noticed I was craving a lot more snacks than usual and at times, a little bit more emotional, which is entirely okay.

I start my new pack in the next couple of days and little did I realize, I grew a lot in the last month too.

Normally, whenever I am on my period, I avoid the gym at all costs. This week, I felt light and free, and went to the gym in celebration.

With birth control, I feel a lot more spontaneous, happy, and free. I felt empowered as a woman to take control of her body. Even though I forgot to take my pills sometimes, the pill is something I’m glad I invested my time into.

Here’s some advice if you plan on taking the pill:

1. Set an alarm! The only times I forgot to take my birth control pill was when I forgot to reset my alarm.

2. Listen to your body. You know your body best and it’s important that you listen to all of the symptoms before making any big decisions.

Taking birth control is something I feel very fortunate to have and I wouldn’t change it for a thing.

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.