No Date? No Problem. How to be Single and Happy on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Stocking up on booze and chocolates for a lonely night in on Thursday? Dusting off your copy of The Notebook for a good cryfest? Put away those tissues. Contrary to popular belief, you can have fun on Valentine’s day without a significant other. 98 percent of my good friends are in relationships. Do I let that get me down? Maybe a little bit. Then I remember that there’s someone else out there who probably doesn’t have plans either and I pull myself out of it. With all of my friends making plans to go out and get their romantics on, what am I supposed to do? As cliché as it is, it would be a good time to catch up on any residual homework or studying that needs to be done. Once that’s finished, treat yourself to your favorite food! Order a pizza, watch your favorite movie and relish in the fact that you are ahead of your other classmates. 

On the other hand, just because it’s Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you can’t do something casual with a friend, or even get to know someone new. Don’t be afraid to approach that cutie in your class to see what he’s up to. The “Single Awareness Day” alternative can be used to your advantage too! Now that you’re aware of who is single, take your pick of the litter. I’d be stoked if someone made an attempt to get to know me better, even if it was just as friends. Or you can invite an old friend to your place to watch some crappy love movies with a side of a bottle of wine or two. Make the holiday ironic and you’ll be feeling less lonely in no time. What the day is really about is loving the people around you, not just your significant other. 

Now maybe you’re one of the fortunate ones who does have plans with a special someone. Well lucky you. Although jealous, I can still help you out. If I was lucky enough to have company, I wouldn’t be expecting much presents-wise. Valentine’s Day is not as much about doting on your boyfriend as it is for them to be praising you. A poll of my taken bro-dude buddies has shown that receiving gifts isn’t entirely necessary. We don’t expect dinner or diamonds; however, if you do find something that reminds you of him, go for it. I would much rather know that you’re thinking about me when we’re not together than know that you spent some serious dough on a gift that I may or may not like (even though I’d never tell you that). I’d be grateful that you’re spending your time with me in the first place, and your boyfriend should be too!

Cover Photo: http://www.freedigitalphotos.n…

Text Photo by: Daniel Meisel

Daniel Meisel

San Francisco

Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.