My Summer As A Junior Giants Ambassador

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Meet Allison Cospin, a student at San Francisco State University. This past summer Allison had an internship with the Junior Giants program and was an ambassador for the Daly City Junior Giants. I sat down to talk to Allison about her experience with the organization.

What exactly is a Junior Giants ambassador?

A Junior Giants Ambassador represents and helps run the Junior Giants little league baseball in their designated cities. There are over 100 Junior Giants leagues in over 100 cities in California. I worked for the Daly City Junior Giants and I collaborated with my commissioners and helped them run the league as part of the 8 week program. I would assist in practices and games, help register players and coaches, gather and distribute supplies and equipment, and helped carry out the programs and distributed prizes. Most importantly, I made daily reports and statistics about the progress of my league and send it to the Giants.

How long were you a Junior Giants ambassador?

I was an ambassador from for 3 months.

What made you want to become an ambassador?

I have always been a huge fan of the Giants and I knew many people who have played and participated in Junior Giants, and I wanted to be a part of that. I also wanted to help make an impact on the community and be a part of something bigger.

Describe an average day at the job.

I would usually arrive at my office at Westlake Park in Daly City at around 2:00pm. I would work on my reports and statistics, answer emails, get the week’s program and prize packs and communicate with my Commissioners until around 5:00pm. Then, I would  go to the field and wait for practice to start at 5:30pm. I would distribute supplies, take pictures for our social media, and check on the teams until 6:30pm. Because out league was so big, I would have to go to our second site, in Gellert Park, and repeat this process until practice ended at 7:30pm. I would follow this routine Monday through Thursday.

What did you learn from your position?

I learned how to plan events and how to work with different groups of people. I  also learned how to effectively and efficiently communicate with others and how to be a team player. Most importantly, it taught me how to be a leader and do my absolute best to help others and make an impact on my community.

What was your favorite memory as a Junior Giants ambassador?

My favorite memory was having all of the ambassadors and the Junior Giants leagues come together at AT&T Park and help Buster Posey pass out gloves to our players during his glove drive and enjoyed the all day festival afterwards.

Alondra Vega

San Francisco '19

Senior at San Francisco State University.