This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

In my junior year of high school, I needed a prom date. My friends at the time set me up. The guy I went with was very quiet, but I had a decent time. He ended up messaging me after, and for the following months.

Flash forward three years to my junior year of college, and we’re still together. We have now been together since my junior year in high school. We’ve been through a lot. I’ve been around his family and have been witness to his crazy mom’s antics. He’s been with me through family illness and death. I’ve stuck with him even when he’d gotten into drinking and smoking more than I’d like.

Now, I’m not sure. Am I supposed to be 20-years-old and trying to make it work with someone for the rest of my life? I’ve heard that I’m too young to be doing this. I should be ending things when I don’t think it’s working. Am I too young to be compromising?

Don’t get me wrong, I love him. But at this point, I don’t see myself in his family. His mom is so demanding and controlling; I don’t think that I am willing to commit to that forever. And now I’m wondering if we even have much in common anymore. I feel like our values have split from each other.

If I don’t think that I see myself in his family, should we just break up? I feel selfish for staying together when I have no intention of marriage (even though I’m so young). But what’s the point of dating when I’m young? I thought that it was to make connections, but maybe it’s to find a life partner already.

I think that in the end, I have a lot of time left in front of me. I don’t think that I need to be making all of these life decisions now. I don’t want to be thinking about marriage. It scares me. I want to be thinking about my career and the quality of my life. I want to be out making memories with friends, not worried about marriage.