This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Growing up in the Twenty- First Century is completely different from growing up in past generations. My generation has grown up in a very corrupt, untrustworthy, and evolving world that has shaped us into the people that have become today in society.

I believe that my generation has experienced such mistrust and lies, that we tend to put false hope into people as role models, like influencers or celebrities that aren’t always the most moral people. We have trouble trusting people and organisations because of all the false information that has been spread and damage that they have caused due to all the times we have been let down in our lives.

We have been born into a world where we are left picking up the damaged pieces of our society and life in general, due to previous generations. My generation is viewed as weak, lazy, and incapable due to past generations lack of care or empathy, leaving us in such a vulnerable place politically, economically, and emotionally. 

Do I put hope into any institutions or organisations for changing the future? No, I really do not, but I do have hope and put faith into my generation to make a positive and progressive change in our world. We have shown that we are capable and willing to make changes for future generations, so they do not have to grow up in the same world and society that we did.

The only exception of an institution or individual receiving my faith and hope would be the future of women in politics. My generation is the one who go to live and experience the First woman Vice President being sworn into office, and I hope the first woman President too. I believe that women could change the world for the better and prove that we can make a positive impact on the world. 

Most generations would consider my generation as unique and different from others, and I would agree. We are the generation that has learned to accept everyone no matter their skin color, sexual orientation, gender identification etc. We believe that we are all equal and should be able to live our lives how we see fit no matter what.

Overall, I do believe growing up in the twentieth first century is different from past generations. We had bigger issues and harder times that we experienced growing up, we had a corrupt world and society to be watchful of, we have crazy expectations/standards that we are held up to, and we grew up surrounded by such a hateful world.

We get called lazy and spoiled because we are a part of a generation that grew up with a new type of technology making things simpler for us. Just because we didn’t grow up in a time where we struggled in ways past generations did, doesn’t mean that we had it any easier than they did. 

While I do not believe in comparing people’s hardships in life, I do believe that this generation has had a harder time while growing up than our parents did. Even talking to my parents about what they experienced during their childhood and teenage days, I can deduce that it was easier back then. They had such lenient parents that would allow them to roam free in a society that was much safer than it is now, without the fear of something happening. Although they did have their trials and tribulations while growing up, they still did not have to worry about growing up too fast or worrying for their future like my generation does.

So yes, I do believe that growing up in the Twentieth First Century was more difficult that growing up in past generations. Our society and world are just so flawed currently, it raises concern for our future generations, but I do believe that my generation can make a positive change and impact on the future.

Samantha Ortiz

San Francisco '26

Hi everyone! My name is Samantha. I am so excited to be part of Her Campus San Francisco as a writer!