Michael Payton, Multimedia Producer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

What got you started in video editing and directing?

What really got me started was my fascination with music videos. I started off as a rapper and producer; I would film and direct my own videos. I believe the first video I ever directed was in 2006 for one of my songs. I had a real cheap digital camera that also took video… looking back the video was pretty bad! But I just kept practicing and getting better over the years. Now I think I’ve reached a point where I can make at least somewhat descent productions.

How would you describe your work?

My work is very diverse. M.Payton Multimedia produces everything from music videos, webisodes, live events, to Bar Mitzvahs (seriously), all of which require different styles of shooting and editing. Recently, I have launched a new channel on YouTube called M.Payton TV (stylized #MPAYTONtv) (www.youtube.com/mpaytontv). It is a magazine-style channel that delivers a variety of pop-culture-driven content, including original series, exclusive interviews with celebrities – such as Waka Flocka Flame and the son of Carlos Santana, Salvador Santana – and music videos (mostly directed by me). Currently, we predominantly feature two entertainment shows: D-TALK NATION which is hosted by WiLD 94.9 radio personality Dorel Baca; and Celeb Gossip: 5 Down hosted by Cimone Hall, who is a broadcasting major at SF State. We are working to expand our channel by featuring other web-based shows that include sports, fashion, food, lifestyle, health — you name it! So if there is anyone reading this have a great idea for a show, please contact me!

What kind of clients do you have, and what kind of work do you do for them?

I have a great range of clients; from individuals, to small businesses, to major institution. Currently, I do a lot of video work for the Bay Area radio station WiLD 94.9, which is the number one pop station in the SF market. Some of my work there includes filming and edited an interview with legendary boxer Mike Tyson, and British girl-group and X-Factor UK winners Little Mix. I also do a lot of work for San Francisco State University, including the College of Ethnic Studies, of which I produced a commemorative documentary for the College’s 43th anniversary that was screened at Yoshi’s in SF. 

How and when did you launch your website and M.Payton Multimedia Productions?

I officially launched my M.Payton Multimedia Productions last year, and launched the website in February of this year. I had been doing video work for a while; I never really gave too much thought to making it a business. After awhile, people began noticing and admiring my work, and were requesting my services. So I decided to officially go into business for myself, and so far it’s proven to be pretty successful.

What’s your biggest goal with video? Your site and business?

My biggest goal is just to keep growing M.Payton Multimedia Productions and making it one of the most sought after production firms in the entertainment industry. That’s going to take a lot of hard work!

What’s some of your favorite or strongest work?

I believe my best work to date is a music video I recently released for a song that I did called “Real Power.” It took me almost 5-6 months to create the final product — so it’s my baby. It’s featured on my channel #MPAYTONtv.

What’s your biggest inspiration with your work?

My biggest inspiration is knowing that I am building something that is my own. Its one thing to work for somebody else, or to intern for a company in the your chosen field. But its an even greater feeling of accomplishment to do work that you love, get paid for it, and know that this is something you created. There’s no better feeling to me. 

Nena Farrell

San Francisco

Nena Farrell is a senior journalism student at SFSU who masters in copy editing, career writing and celeb articles. An avid tea drinker and religious studies minor, she hopes to take her numerous journalism internships and experiences as a newspaper copy editor and Campus Correspondent to move forward into the world of editing and public relations. She's a native Californian who's lived from Sonoma to San Francisco — with a few years in Hawaii to boot! Follow her on Instagram and Twitter at @thenenja, and check out her blog for more of her work at thenenja.com