Maya Church, a Rising Star at SF State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Photos by Taylor Michelle Cott

Hips swaying back and forth, Maya Church confidently struts her way across the stage –and she has the attention of every guy in the room. 

In addition to her gorgeous looks, Church captures the audience with her singing talents, showcasing a beautifully sweet voice, giving one the impression that she has been doing this for years. This is, of course, all apart of “the act”, and surprisingly, despite working the stage like a pro, Church has not had as much theater experience as one might think. Just a freshman at SF State, Church scored the lead role of Carmen, -a beautiful, seductive woman who could be described as ‘too confident for her own good’ in the production of “That Jones Gal,” a 1950s rendition of the opera “Carmen,” directed by Stephan McGrue.

Church talks about the importance about participating in SF State’s first almost-all black cast musical, getting out of her comfort zone and being fearless in an in-depth email interview.

Major: International Relations

Hometown: Glendale, Calif.

Year: Freshwoman

What is your background in theater? How many years have you been doing it?

I actually do not have much background in theater. I was in a musical my junior year and in a play my senior year of high school but that is about it. I have not taken any formal acting classes.

How long have you been singing? How and when did you get started?

I have been singing for pleasure my whole life. I do not have any formal training behind my singing either, although I have been in choirs since middle school.

How did you hear about “That Jones Gal?”

I heard about “That Jones Gal” from a friend in gospel choir. Shortly after I saw a flier in the humanities building and decided to audition.

Was there any particular reason you wanted to be apart of that production?

I saw it as a good opportunity to keep doing musical theater even though it wasn’t my major. I did not initially know that we were going to be the first all black cast at state. However, I am so honored to be in his production to help bring the black arts alive.

Photos by Taylor Michelle Cott
Was it important to you that this, according to the Facebook event that this was the first “all black cast musical ever at SF State”?

It is important to me, I am very proud to be a part of this especially during Black History Month. Everyone who has contributed to this production is so talented.

Why did you want to play Carmen? What attracted you to the character?

I was not initially attracted to the role of Carmen. I thought I was going to play a much smaller role! But later when I received the role, I wanted to play Carmen because I knew it would be a challenge. Every day I would have step out of my comfort zone.

Walk us through the audition process for the production? Were there a lot of other girls? How many were trying out for Carmen? Did you have to learn dance numbers?

You first had to email Stephan McGrue (my director) for a date and time to come audition. There were then two acting callbacks and one dance callback.

How many weeks of practice/rehearsal did you have to prepare? Were you here over winter break?

The cast has been rehearsing since September and yes, most of the cast was rehearsing over break.

Have you had any other lead roles in the past?
No, this is my first lead role.
Have you made new friends with the cast?
I love my TJG family! We all have become very good friends through this process.

What has been the biggest learning experience in having the lead role for this production? What was your biggest challenge?

Practice, practice, practice. My biggest challenge was finding time to develop my Carmen role. Being Carmen is fun but other aspects of her character were harder for me to capture so I needed to put more time in to it which I didn’t have.

Photos by Taylor Michelle Cott
Do you ever get stage fright, and what do you do to overcome it?
Right before I go on stage I get really nervous! I try to center my energy and switch it to the mindset I need to be in for that scene, song, speech, etc.

What advice would you give to girls who are trying out for lead roles?
Be fearless! I have to remind myself this every day but I promise it makes all the difference.
Do you hope to do more productions in the future?
I do, this play has re-sparked my interest in musicals/theater.
How has your experience been at SF State so far?

I love SF State. I have met such wonderful people and have made some life-long friends. San Francisco is a beautiful city and I
am so excited to be here.

Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.