To Love or Not to Love the Pumpkin Spice Latte-That is the Question

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Fall is infamous for a lot of things. The leaves changing colors, being able to wear sweaters and boots and Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. While some people are excited about the seasonal treat, others dread the weeks of nothing but pumpkin spice. Two writers from our chapter went head-to-head to decide if the PSL really is the ultimate fall time drink.

Against PSL

I Hate Pumpkin Spice Lattes. I think that they are beyond disgusting and I never understood why people fawn over them year after year. Starbucks offers other fall drinks that are far superior. The salted caramel mocha is the perfect blend of savory and sweet, and the new chile mocha is a drink that combines heat and chocolate, what more could you want!

Not only are psl’s horrible tasting they are also horrible for you. According to Cosmopolitan, “A grande Starbucks PSL with 2 percent milk and whipped cream contains about 20 percent of a day’s worth of calories and fat without providing the body any actual food. It also contains the equivalent of 12 teaspoons of sugar.” And with the average individual consuming three cups of coffee a day…that’s a lot of calories and sugar. At that point you’re better off grabbing a cup of black coffee and eating a slice of pumpkin pie along with it if you’re really craving that pumpkin spice.

For PSL

Here is why you should be ordering those pumpkin spice lattes. They have a delicious blend of spices (pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg), they give you the right caffeine hit, they bring you nostalgic memories of the Fall season with one sip and they make you feel warm and pleasant inside.

After doing research, I found out that places like Starbucks and Peet’s Coffee don’t use real pumpkin in their pumpkin spice lattes. And there’s really no nutritional value in a PSL. In fact, they contain way too much sugar and are really bad for you. So I can’t make an argument

regarding any sort of health benefits with those drinks. But even after knowing all of this, I

would still order a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks, because it’s convenient. Also my taste buds

really like it and it makes me happy! Haha However, if you do consume real pumpkin the benefits are:

1. Helps with eyesight (contains vitamin A)

2. Rich in fiber and helps with weight loss

3. Pumpkin seeds help reduce cholesterol

4. The vitamins (B and C) , minerals (potassium, copper, magnesium, iron) and antioxidants

(carotenoids) give you healthy skin

5. Pumpkin seeds boost your mood( the amino acid tryptophan helps produce serotonin)

No matter what side you find yourself on, there is always the option to make your drink at home. Below is a convenient recipe that allows you to get the taste of fall in your own kitchen.

At Home Pumpkin Spice Latte

1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

3 tablespoons pumpkin puree

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2-3 drops of liquid stevia (or sweetener of choice)

8 ounces brewed coffee (or 1-2 shots of espresso)

Sprinkle of cinnamon

My name is Celeste and I’m a Journalism Major at SF State.I like dark chocolate, red wine and the color blue.I have a passion for beautiful words and pictures that tell a story and speak to my soul. Some of my interests include, reading, writing, baking, going to coffee shops, watching movies and discovering new music.
I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.