Loren Gonzales -Intern at 99.7, Theater Arts Major, Previous Sexhibition Director

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.
Major: Drama (Performance Emph)/ Minor: Dance
Age: 21
Year of graduation: 2014
Hometown: Torrance, Ca

Loren Gonzales is all over the map.

The question is not ‘Do you know Loren?‘, it’s more like, ‘Who doesn’t know Loren?

With over 1,000 Facebook friends, Loren makes the rounds. He has directed Sexhibition, one of EGAY’s most prideful events (stealing the show with his incredible dance skills), is infamous at Trader Joes and now is currently what you could call BFFs with one of the coolest and hippest radio personalities on 99.7 -Letty B. We have the inside scoop on Mr. Gonzales as he explains how he developed a passion for theater, his take on “That Jones Gal“, and awesome intenship at 99.7.

Why did you want to be a drama major?

When I was a sophomore in HS I saw this musical called, “Zombie Prom”. It was kind of a cross between “Hairspray” and “Rocky Horror Picture Show”. It was so obnoxiously campy and even a little creepy, but you could tell that the cast loved every minute of it. It was right then and there that I was hooked on theater and it has been part of my life ever since.

So Loren, we all know you’ve done a range of awesome performing arts activities. List all of the big ones you’ve been involved with since you were a freshman at SF State.

Haha, surprisingly I havent been involved in any SF State productions, but have done a couple outside acting gigs for friends and such. I hosted the pilot episode of “Bay Area Student Shorts,” produced by my very good friend Colton Coate, which showcased various pieces from local students- and even acted in one of the films we featured! 

I am excited to be making my “theatrical debut” this semester as a dancer in “That Jone’s Gal” and portraying the role of Simon Stimson from Thorton Wilder’s “Our Town this coming March!

You also put on Sexhibition and performed one the most sexiest, yet tasteful choreographed dances I’ve ever seen. Are you still involved with Sexhibition? 

Thank you!! Sexhibition is hands down my pride-n-joy! I first performed in the drag show my freshman year, lip-syncing Rihanna’s “Rude Boy” and when the show ended I thought to myself, “This could really be something special.” So after producing, directing, choreographing, and hosting (goodness, I’m already tired thinking about it!) for 2 years- even getting drag celebrity and SF’s own local treasure, Sister Roma to help cohost last year, I thought I would pass the tiara. However, I still have a couple numbers up my sleeve, so you never know what could happen!

You are also in “That Jones Gal” with our other previous celeb Maya. How did you get involved and how has your experience been with it so far?

I heard about the Jone’s Gal audition from a friend and thought I would go for Ensemble because I heard Ar’Vejon Jones was choreographing the show. My experience with TJG has been nothing short of fulfilling, gratifying, and down right inspiring. It sounds cheesy, but I am honestly so lucky to be working with such a talented cast and beautiful group of people- I mean have you seen us?! We’re gorgeous! Haha, just kidding!

How long have you worked at Trader Joes and what do you like most about your job there?

I am going on 3 years at Trader Joes. It actually funny you bring that up because half the time I feel people come up to me and say, “Don’t you work at TJ’s??” The best part of working there, aside from the 10% discount, are the people. Both my managers and the crew are all so awesome- it really is like having a whole other family.

You currently intern at 99.7. How did you get your internship and what do you like most about it?

I actually found their add on craigslist. I was looking to get a second summer job and stumbled upon their post saying they were looking for an intern. I had absolutely no radio experience and no real idea what I was getting into- but figured I had nothing to lose, so I submitted a cover letter, resume, and actually got a call for an interview the next day! 

I think the best thing is how much I like it. I had never once thought of pursuing a career in radio, but after going on my second semester of working there, it really has opened that possibility. 

You appear to be awesome friends with Letty B. How is it working with her? Were you a fan of hers before you went to 99.7?

Haha, to be honest I don’t own a radio- so I went in completely oblivious to who everyone was. She really is an amazing person though- I remember being so nervous that we were gonna have a “Devil Wears Prada” kind of relationship, her being Meryl Streep and me Anne Hathaway. But we became pretty close- even went to Disneyland together over winter break! So ya, I say she’s a pretty decent boss to have!

What’s a regular day like at 99.7? If there is no regular day, what are some of the things you get to help out with?
Now that I’m working for the Fernando & Greg Morning Show, a regular day consists of getting to the station at 530am and prepping the studio for the guys, uploading the podcasts of every episode, and setting up audio clips from outside sources to be used during the actual show- so if ever you hear a random sound bite of Sweet Brown saying, “ain’t nobody…”,  that was us. 

What’s the coolest part about your internship?

The coolest part of my internship has to be when I get to talk on the air. I’ve been featured in a couple segments and it’s so much fun to interact with the guys and the listeners. So be sure to txt the hotline and request “Loren the Intern” and follow my radio adventures on Instagram @atomicglitter!!

What do you love about the city?

This is such a loaded question. To sum it ALL up I would have to say I love the diversity. From our school, to the Castro and Mission, all the way downtown, there is always something going on; and it’s because of the staggering amount of creative, unique, and talented individuals that make up this city. To be honest, it still hits me from time to time, I’ll be busing down Portola or walking on the Embarcadero and suddenly it’s just like, “Woah! I freakin’ live in San Francisco!”

Lightening Round:

Katy Perry or Carly Rae?

Sit down to both. Stand up for Beyonce!!
99.7 or 94.9?
Haha!
Boxers or briefs?

Boxer-briefs. Right amount of comfort and support;)

NorCal or SoCal

NorCal life with SoCal weather!

Glee or American Idol? -(Wait is that comparable?)

Smash!

Tropical Skittles or M&Ms?

PIZZA!

Justin Timberlake or Jay-Z?

JT all the way. Did you watch Friends w/ Benefits??

Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.