This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

When going abroad there’s many things to think about when it comes to a different culture. Researching the customs and ways are helpful to ease your way into the new place you’ll be living for the next four months or longer. Clothing is essential no matter where someone travels to, so what should someone pack when going abroad? 

Essentials – Favorite items & basic clothing to layer

You know yourself best and know what to wear, so first start with essentials. What could you not live without? Is there a favorite pair of jeans you have? In that case pack those first because you will miss them. When looking at the style for France it’s different than in the states. In France it’s more of a business casual or plain casual wear. No one will be found in athleisure unless they’re working out. Mostly blazers, trench coats, pleated pants, or puffer jackets. However, there is a street style here of cargo pants and flared leggings dressed up. Your style is your own, so don’t think you have to change it up exactly to fit the place you’re going. 

Leave room for more clothes

We all know we can’t resist the different shops abroad, so make sure to leave room in your suitcase for extra clothes and souvenirs. Also, a tip for shopping, look at the sizing chart beforehand. As a curvy girly, France sizing is two sizes smaller than in the states. At Zara an Extra Large is a Medium. Although you can find stores with curvy sizing like Pull&Bear that are like a PacSun. Primark is another store that is like a Target and has a variety of different clothing. Normal is a Swedish store that is like a Marshalls where you can find discounted skin and hair care, slippers, Frank’s Buffalo Hot Sauce, and Jaritos. 

Toiletries 

Skin care, hair care and hygiene are important when traveling. However, it doesn’t need to waste space in the luggage. Travel sized items are good for overnight stays when moving, but the grocery stores will have products that you need. You can find American brands in Europe like Dove and Amika. Local brands are good to try the products as well have more natural ingredients. There’s always a local brand that can be compared to the ones in the states. 

Shipping out

If you do end up not having enough space in your luggage and can’t afford another one. A less expensive alternative is to ship your belongings back to the states. Many students end up with so many gifts and souvenirs that shipping makes sense. In Europe, the weight of the package (it’s weighed by grams) will be how much you pay. Also, if you can’t find what you’re looking for in stores Amazon is another alternative that does ship to different countries. France has their own Amazon website and be warned that countries may not ship out the same items that the states would. 

It does take some research to really see what you will consider packing, but that’s the fun of going abroad. Students are going to go on so many adventures, so plan the outfits you want to wear. 

Nadia Castro

San Francisco '23

Hey Everyone! I'm Nadia Castro, a journalism major here at San Francisco State University. I received my Associates degree at Chaffey Community College, and now working on my Bachelor's. Currently, I'm an intern for the journalism department at SF State. Now the fun things about me is that I love to explore and call them "adventures". I love reading books in my spare time, so if you want to gossip about a new read I'm your girl! Anywhere near the water feels like home to me. I'm excited for Her Campus!