Joey Bada$$ and Civil Rights in the Music of Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Joey Bada$$ released his album titled “All-Amerikkkan Bada$$” last Friday, April 7. Bada$$ had released three songs that are on the album prior to Friday, but the full album can be found now on Apple Music. The title and all of the songs on the album relate to the struggles that black people in America are faced with. As I was listening and enjoying the new tunes, I had a thought. It occurred to me that many rappers have begun to make their political views more accessible through their music.

More specifically, their feelings towards current President Donald Trump, and what his election means to and for the people of color in this country.

YG’s “FDT” was released earlier last year (prior to the election) and has since then become an anthem for youth countrywide. Whatever your political views might be, you must admit, “Fuck Donald Trump” is an awfully catchy saying when combined with Brazy’s beats. But the song says much more than that, going on to include lyrics discussing immigration, like:

“It wouldn’t be the USA without Mexicans And if it’s time to team up, shit, let’s begin. Black love, brown pride in the sets again.”

The lyrics resonated with kids like myself from working class Mexican families, and gave us something we could chant alongside other people of color, and even white people. “Fuck Donald Trump” began being printed on hats and t-shirts, and is still a recognizable phrase to this day.

Kendrick Lamar is a prime example of a rapper aware and expressive of the political situation he is in. Everybody remember his Grammys performance of last year? Thought so.

His last album, To Pimp a Butterfly, featured black women and men grouped in front of the White House on the cover, and songs with titles like “Institutionalized” and “Hood Politics.” He released “The Heart Part 4” on Thursday, March 23, 2017. In this song, he includes lyrics like:

“Donald Trump is a chump, know how we feel, punk. Tell ‘em that God comin’ And Russia need a replay button, y’all up to somethin’.”

He is said to release his newest album (which is titled “ALBUM” on Apple Music) on April 14.

I could go on and on all day about Kendrick Lamar and how revolutionary I think he is, but let’s get back to the main idea of this particular article. “3 K’s, 2 A’s in America,” sings Bada$$ in “Devastated.” There are serious issues going on in the United States. Issues that have gone on for hundreds of years, and these musicians are now choosing to bring attention to them through their music. I highly recommend giving all of these albums a listen and hearing how passionate the musicians are about these tribulations.

Valerie Duarte

San Francisco

An 18-year-old journalism student at SFSU. Los Angeles native. Very indecisive. Likes to have her cake and matcha lattes, too.