burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Jane Austen Meets Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a young and chic woman in today’s world must be in want of a video blog. Gone are the days of zombies and sea monster retellings. Jane Austen’s beloved characters have discovered the joys of social media!

In April 2012, Hank Green (of the VlogBrothers) and Bernie Su launched the Pride and Prejudice modern adaptation, “The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.” With its smart, funny, and endearing cast, it is no wonder the web series became an instant success. Lizzie’s video diaries gave a personal and more engaging touch to the story. Its characters were also relatable: As college students, we can understand Lizzie’s dilemma of an uncertain future after receiving her degree. Thus, we have become so emotionally invested in these characters’ lives that falling in love with them all over again was unquestionable.

What made “The Lizzie Bennet Diaries” stand out even more, however, was that these colorful characters had their own Twitter handles where, if you were lucky enough, you could see them interact with each other live!

Here are just some of their amusing quotes:

Whether you are a die-hard fan of Jane Austen or not, with video titles such as “Bing Lee and his 500 Teenage Prostitutes” and “Cats and Chinchillas,” how can you resist the temptation of getting absorbed into the world of Lizzie Bennet? 

(Source)

You can find the first episode of this wonderful series here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KisuGP2lcPs

But let us turn to the latest development in the universe of Jane Austen and social media. This week marked the beginning of another web series which has the potential to be equally popular: “Emma Approved.” After the conclusion of “The Lizzie Bennet Diaries,” fans immediately asked for an adaptation of another Jane Austen novel, and luckily enough, we have one! As its title denotes, this new series is a modern retelling of Emma. With only two episodes so far, we cannot truly tell where these videos will take us, but if the past is any indication, I know I will be at the edge of my seat awaiting each new episode. Don’t miss out on the adventures of Emma Woodhouse! They are sure to be fun and entertaining, and a perfect way to start your morning. And if you love romance and fashion, why not stop by Emma’s website too?

(Source)

Here is the first episode of this exciting web series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeeXkf8LZ_8. New videos are uploaded every Monday and Thursday at 9:00 a.m. PST on their YouTube channel.

Whether this is your first or your hundredth venture into the world of Jane Austen, it is worth noting that the use of social media is a new and interesting way of storytelling. Who knows what the future might bring in terms of technology and how that may impact our creative venues. In the meantime, though, I hope you have discovered a show that you will enjoy.

Elizabeth Lee

San Francisco

Elizabeth is currently a junior at San Francisco State University where she is studying Comparative Literature. She enjoys writing, learning foreign languages, and yoga.