I’ve Got 99 Problems and My Roommate is One – Tips On How to Address Issues With Your Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Ah, college – the place where you have to get accustomed to living with someone in the same room 24/7. Even if you started off the school year by being best friends with your roommate, at some point or another, you may run into an issue with them.

Here are some tips on how to address conflicts with your roommate.

(Photo by StockSnap.)

1. Be direct and honest.

Even as an adult, confrontation can be scary. However, by being direct about your feelings and your point of view on the issue you’re facing with your roommate, it can prevent miscommunication.  

2. Wait to talk about your issues privately… and in person.

Texting your roommate about an urgent issue may not be the best option. By talking it over in person, not only are you being respectful to them, but you’re addressing the issue in a better envrionment. 

3. Be mindful of what they have to say.

Genuinely listen to what your roommate has to say. Your roommate may have come from an entirely different background than you. Be sure to look at things from their perspective and take it into consideration, but know that your opinions should be respected as well.

4. Talk to a Residential Assistant.

If you live on campus, RAs are here to help you out! They’re trained on how to handle different conflicts with roommates and have probably dealt with awkward living situations before. If you don’t live on campus, try talking to a friend about any issues you come across with your roommate. 

5. Don’t procrastinate.

If you’re roommate has been doing something that’s been bothering you since the beginning of the school year, but you haven’t addressed the issue, it’s probably best to let things go. One tip is to have a 48-hour rule – if you haven’t addressed an issue within two days, it’s probably best to move on.

6.  Create ground rules.

By creating a living agreement, you and your roommate can refer back to the list . If some things are just not working, you might be able to solve some issues by looking over what you originally agreed on how to live together. If new problems arise, you can work together to change the rules you established in the first place or implement new ones. 

7. Move on… and sometimes out.

If you feel that you’ve tried every single thing in the world – it’s probably best if you or your roommate move out.