How to keep fit at San Francisco State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

With the start of school in full swing, managing our healthy habits can be a bit of a burden, especially  when juggling work, homework, tests and the unreliable MUNI, (trust me, I’m thankful for the cruel schedule of the MUNI for giving me some reason to run and break a sweat!).

However, after four years of becoming familiar with the San Francisco State campus and having a mother who is a nutritionist, I’ve developed some tactics that can help any collegiette feel a little bit better mentally and physically throughout her busy week.

Taking an exercise class: San Francisco State has a variety of fitness classes you can add into your schedule with most being only 50 minutes long. Besides aerobics, swimming, yoga, and fitness conditioning classes, there are also a selection of martial arts classes
including Kung-Fu, Judo, and Tae Kwon Do.

And.. ladies, are you tired of carrying pepper spray without even knowing how to use it? SFSU also has a personal defense class that could both be informative and effective at the same time!

Stair Master: Have you ever had to carry groceries or a bag full of textbooks up those grueling Village Market steps? Next time try making these stairs useful by taking out the week’s stress on those steps. Not only are they excellent to jog up and down because of how steep they are, but they also have flat platforms in between, providing a good space to do lunges and squats. Take advantage of this “free” workout to tone those leg and butt muscles.

Secret Zen Garden: Taking a minute to clear your head and having a break is crucial during times when we are so crammed that we forget to breathe. Next time you want to take a minute to yourself, walk behind the science building toward Hensil Hall and on the right side you’ll see a small garden with stone seats. There are some beautiful trees and shrubbery that could put you an a peaceful pace before you go on conquering the world.

Use these tips to keep you healthy, happy and on top of your semester!

tara miremadi

San Francisco

just a coastal girl who loves the sun, waves, performing, comedy, film, writing, and afternoon cat naps.
Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.